Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 C1500 lighting is possessed

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2011, 4:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 C1500 lighting is possessed

Hi y'all, I've got a 1990 C1500 Silverado, 4x4 extended-cab, and the lighting system is strangely messed up.

About a month ago, I was driving down the road one night, and the fuse which controls the tail-lights and dashboard gauge lights blew. The headlights kept working, but I was driving down the road with no tail-lights and unable to see the gauges.

I replaced the fuse, and it blew again. I replaced it about ten more times, and it blew every time. It lasted longer some times than others. And it seems like if I parked the truck idling with the lights on, it was fine - it only blew when I mashed the brake pedal.

The law pulled me and told me to cut on my 4-way flashers if I was gonna be driving at night, so I did that for a while, but then they stopped working altogether.

So then I switched to driving at night with one of the turn signals stuck on. Last night, the turn signals quit working altogether too.

So it's basically like my lighting system is progressively dying.

One interesting note: back when the turn signals worked, I noticed that when I'd cut on the left turn signal (it never did this with the right one), the seatbelt warning light would flash in time with the turn signal...but ONLY when I had the brake pedal depressed. And if I did NOT have my seat belt on, it would also beep/chime in time with the turn signal. If I DID have my seat belt on, only the light would flash (no beeping). I could not figure this out to save me.

And sometimes when I'd cut the right-hand turn signal on, the gauge needles would jump back and forth, in sync with the turn signal; during which time, the flashing indicator on the dashboard would flash much dimmer than normal.

WHAT in the world is my problem??