Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 CK fix-up help

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2011, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 CK fix-up help

Greetings, everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I have a question (well, quite alot of them, actually) about fixing up my CK 1500 Silverado. She's in rough shape visually, but I can tell she's got all kinds of power, just begging to be released (315000 km on it, and the engine still sounds strong). Some the immediate things I'd like to fix:

• Fix the speedometer. Every once in awhile, the gauge will stick at zero when I know that I am going at least 50 km/h. A couple of good taps on the plastic sometimes jiggles it loose, but not every time. Ultimately, I'd love to replace the entire gauge panel, but will settle for knowing how fast I'm traveling first.
  • Replace/re-construct the wheel wells on the box (8-foot). The rust has gone right through, all the way around and about 2 inches tall.
  • Replace the bottom cab corners. I've heard the cab corners (behind the doors on both sides) are notorious for rusting, and this is no exception.
  • Interior is dusty-looking without being dusty. It just has that "I'm an old truck" kind of look to it on the inside, and I think it would definitely be worth trying to clean it up (ie: replace the floorpan carpet, find new door interior panels, deep clean/replace the bench seat, deep clean/replace the dash).
  • Replace front grille and all lights. The grille is very chipped, and is loose in a couple of spots. The headlights have that "covered in dust" look to them, and the housing is in need of replacing.
It may sound like she's too much of a rust bucket/beater to invest time and money into, but I've driven other (and newer) trucks and nothing compares the feeling of the at-the-ready power this old gal has. I'll post pictures when I can (probably later today) so you can see her for yourself.

If anyone has any tips/tricks/special locations to shop at (keep in mind I'm from Canada, so things may not be as readily available as they are in the US), it would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Kulstad; August 25th, 2011 at 9:35 AM.