Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1991 Chevy silverado 1500 Fuel issue and engine swap

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2014, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Chevy silverado 1500 Fuel issue and engine swap

Hey,

So about 4 months ago I saved this old truck from a farmers field and have been doing major repairs to it. However, I have hit abit of a snag. About 2 months ago I got it fixed just enough to get a safety to pass (beer may have been involved) Now I know these trucks drink gas and that is totally fine however in the last week the truck has started to chug gas like its going out of style.

The truck isn't leaking fuel as I have been all over it, I am going to change the fuel filter because it probably needs to be changed. I was also thinking maybe the float in the throttle body has stuck open and could be pooring it in. I know recently when I rev the engine in neutral I can smell gas coming through the vents aswell.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

On another question. I have the 5.7 350 engine and she is a beaut but I was wondering if i can swap it out for a 450? I don't know if the mounting brackets would even fit one but figured I'd ask you guys.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The throttle body injector (TBI) system does not have a float it uses two nozzle type of injectors that squirt fuel into the engine through an body that looks somewhat like a carburetor. The injectors are #13 in the diagram. The diagram represents the TBI concept and may not be the exact one you have.

The injectors could be bad causing the excessive fuel, could be the throttle positioning sensor, mass air flow sensor, or other components/sensors that is causing the smell. Recommend checking all the connections to the TBI to include the fuel intake on the rear.

As far as engine swap do you mean a 454?