Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

The dealership would probably know what is going but you get charged an arm and a leg. I would try looking (phone book, internet) around your area for an electrical mechanic.
Old February 21st, 2008, 1:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very True. Well, I've setup an appointment with Firestone and while it's there, I figured, might as well as get a tranny flush at the same time. They quoted me 90 an hour to troubleshoot... If it has to be done, it has to be done...

Old February 21st, 2008, 1:45 PM
Super Moderator

I hope they can find the problem. When they find it lets us know, other may have the same problem, and Im curious.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

I will surely do that.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Wouldn't you know it... just like trouble shooting computers, it's the last, easiest and smallest thing that caused it.

After all the diagnosing and tracking down the cause of this issue... it was a fuse that I had overlooked. Apparently there was another fuse that controlled the parking lights, dash lights and horn. A number 20 fuse had burnt out... I guess in my frustration, I didn't look at all the fuses and just focused in on the one labeled "Park".

After replacing that fuse, everything worked like a charm. Now I have to cancel my appointments with the shop for a electrical diagnoses and just get the tranny and radiator flushed.
Old April 15th, 2008, 3:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Here is an update: All I had to do was replace a 20 amp fuse and all was good. Now, it seems there might be a short somewhere. I do remember doing a hard bump on the road (the roads are so bad after winter here in MN) and having the cab lights come on real quick then go off.

I didn't think much of it till I got near my home and the cab lights came on briefly and go back off again. I didn't notice till I pulled into the driveway that my instrument panel lights were off as well as my parking lights.

I checked the 20 amp fuse and it had burned out. Well, this morning I stopped off at the autoparts store before going into work and replaced the fuse. I went to make sure I had parking lights and nothing. I checked the fuse and it had burnt out again. I replaced it with a 2nd fuse and samething. I did it a 3rd time and it happened again. I hope that I can locate where the short is.

I don't believe after installing the stereo could be doing this, it should be on a different circuit, shouldn't it?
Old April 15th, 2008, 3:46 PM
Super Moderator

The stereo should not be the problem unless it hooked into the lights for dimming proposes.
Old April 15th, 2008, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm pretty sure it didn't. I'll have to look up the electrical schematics when I get home... I'm sure that should give me some sort of idea of where it could be...

ORIGINAL: northey87

The stereo should not be the problem unless it hooked into the lights for dimming proposes.
Old April 16th, 2008, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

i'm about 99.8% positive that the lights are not tied in with your cd player. i had the same problem with my 1990 chevy were the parking lights, gauge cluster, and tail lights did not work just the headlights. i looked at fuses and nothing was blown with those. so i just started to take wires and shake them around and eventually they came back. it could be diffrent but my wire that was causing it was brown in color so maybe start with that one but like i said it could be diffrent. good luck man
Old April 16th, 2008, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

o and were in MN are you??

Quick Reply: 1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights