Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2008, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

In Blaine.

ORIGINAL: thommcbr1

o and were in MN are you??
Old April 17th, 2008, 7:41 PM
CF Junior Member

It's not, cause the radio would've gone out as well. According to the electrical schematics, that 20 amp fuse protects the parking lights, horns, dash lights and the emergency lights.

My friend pulled everything out and tested the circuits but couldn't locate the short. I'm begining to suspect it's a bad relay (which I bought and didn't return after the last time). Now I'll have to find that cluster inside the engine well.

i'm about 99.8% positive that the lights are not tied in with your cd player. i had the same problem with my 1990 chevy were the parking lights, gauge cluster, and tail lights did not work just the headlights. i looked at fuses and nothing was blown with those. so i just started to take wires and shake them around and eventually they came back. it could be diffrent but my wire that was causing it was brown in color so maybe start with that one but like i said it could be diffrent. good luck man
Old April 18th, 2008, 1:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess i don't know what else to tell you i hate electrical. to much work. but good luck and let us know what happens.also, i'm in Richfield.
Old April 18th, 2008, 4:53 PM
CF Junior Member

It's not that bad, it's like working on computers, eliminating devices till the actual faulty part is located. At this point, it's down to the relay's, if I can get to it. It also maybe related to the front parking lights. The replacement bulbs are different from what it's supposed to be, so I wonder if the sockets were replaced with the incorrect type prior to me owning this truck.

well i guess i don't know what else to tell you i hate electrical. to much work. but good luck and let us know what happens.also, i'm in Richfield.
Old April 21st, 2008, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Hopefully this will fix this issue for once and for all. After my friend tested everything, there was one area he couldn't get to. A wire cluster located on the inside of the engine well, up against the driver side firewall.

We were not sure how to remove the plugs so we just left it at this point. He did pick up some 2-1 dielectric spray and gave it a good coating. After letting it dry overnight, put in a new 20 amp fuse and hit the horn, got sound. Tried the parking lights after that and got lights. He said that prior to that, he noticed that it was slightly wet which may have caused the short that kept blowing that 20 amp fuse. I'll keep you all updated as to how this works out.

Old August 18th, 2011, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default 92 chevy dash and running lights not working.

Ok, so my dash and running lights went out and i didnt know why. Ive been reading all the posts on here and the first thing i tried was checking my grounds and all my wires, and found nothing. then i went to checking bulbs to see if they were out, they all were good, then i checked my dash light switch took it out and sanded the connectors to clean them up, i plugged it back in and they worked for a second then went back off. so i knew it was that, went to oriellys and bought a new one for 15 bucks. thanks everyone for the tips. hopes this helps other people.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

I've got the same problems. I've replaced bulbs, fuses, headlight switch and nothing. Grounds are good. Today I'll put in a new dimmer switch and I hope that's the ticket
Old March 8th, 2013, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Same issue here. I have a 95 silverado. Replaced #9 20 amp fuse a few times-nothing. Replaced headlight/dimmer switch. Same thing. Have headlights,turn signals,brake lights,but no dash or running lights. Gonna look around by drivers side firewall for corrosion of some kind. It's been an icy,snowy,bumpy winter,so maybe something is corroded or rubbing,but it's driving me nuts. Where is the
associated relay for this? Thanks for your help!
Old March 9th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Idk..I've replaced everything you've done and I can't figure it out. Taking it to the MAN today ....
Old March 28th, 2021, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue, park lights and dash backlight not working

Wanted to see if there were anymore solutions or findings about why the park lights and dash stopped working. i re-did my dash, so had the headlight switch out, interior/dash light switch and cargo switch removed from my 88 truck. Were working fine previously. Now i put everything back together, including a new headlight switch, and park lights/tail lights not on and dash light out. headlights are fine, interior lights are good and cargo light switch works. no burnt fuses that i can tell.

Quick Reply: 1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights