Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 Chevy Caty?

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Chevy Caty?

Hi, I was hoping you'd be able to help me out on this.
We have a 1995 Chevy Silverado 3/4-ton that has been having some major issues as of recently. It loves to stall out in the middle of us driving it and it constantly tries to die on us when it's idling. I have changed the spark plugs (all 8 and one was cracked), replaced the starter long ago, changed the fuel filter, added a fuel cleaner to the gas tank, changed the oil, replaced the oil filter, filled it with entirely new gasoline, and I think there might even be some other things. But, none of those have made a significant difference. After changing the fuel filter it seemed to help it, it sounded perfect when idling but then when we started driving it it died on us. So we are now wondering if it's the Caty Converter. I'm not well versed in the "art" of welding so I can't replace it entirely on my own but I assume there's still something I can do. Any help or suggestions as to what else it might be would help a great deal. Thank you.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stalling

I would check the fuel pressure. If the filter helped it you may be running out of fuel.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Uhm... How do I do that? I'm not a mechanic but I have all the basic tools in the world and if I can figure out what to do I can typically manage it.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Catalytic converter won't make the engine die "sometimes". Either they're plugged and causing problems...or not.

I'd connect a scan tool and start reading sensor information along with fuel trim and timing data.

When mine was randomly dying, it turned out the distributor shaft assembly was defective. The magnets get weak and the signal isn't reliable, especially at low RPM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Okay, I'll see what I can figure out with that. Thanks for the input.
Old May 20th, 2011, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

My '98 K1500 5.7 Vortec was doing that, fainting in the worst imaginable times. It turned out to be the crankshaft positioning sensor.