Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1995 Chevy Tahoe problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2006, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Chevy Tahoe problem, help!

Hi everyone-

I am new to the forum today and wanted to say that I am happy to find such a great resource. I originally posted this in the general Q&A section of this forum, but it was suggested that I post my question here.

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe with 53,000 miles. I bought it two years ago with 16,000 original miles. Since then i have done all the normal maintenance (oil and fluid changes, brakes, tuneup, etc). Today, I was on the highway driving about 65 mph when all of the sudden this grinding noise started to come from the engine compartment/front end area. I thought I had a right front flat so I pulled over. Much to my surprise....I did not have a flat. Once I got back in the car, I noticed the grinding/rubbing noise again until I got up to about 15 miles an hour and then it seemed to go away. When I decelerated for a stop light, it came back again around 10-15 miles an hour. I cant figure out if its a bad bearing, stuck caliper or my worse fear....something wrong with the transmission.

I checked my oil pressure (seems normal), checked my engine temperature (normal), checked my oil level (normal) and checked my trans fluid (level was normal and smelled normal). I also tried shifting into different gears.....the noise appeared under the same circumstances in drive and third....but seemed to not be as noticeable in first or second.

Any suggestions???

Old November 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1995 Chevy Tahoe problem, help!

I don’t if you are having the same problem as me. But I had a 2001 Silverado HD truck. and around 60000 miles the engine made a rumbling noise. It went a way after couple days then it came back even louder. I took to the dealership and they advised me that the transfer case was out of oil. And it had caused the bearings inside to break. Again I Don’t know if your having the same problem but mine sound like a clunking noise from the bottom center of the truck. If it is the transfer case have it fix now or it will cause more damage trust me.. The dealership charged me $2000 for a brand new transfer case. Also there was some oil dripping from my transfer case. GOODLUCK!!!