Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1999 silverado WONT START PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 silverado WONT START PLZ HELP

My truck has the 5.3 in it, its a 5 speed, bout a month ago it would turn over but would not start after 10 to 15 mins of sitting it would fire up, now it will continue to turn over but wont start at all. It does not get fire to the plugs, i checked everything..plz somebody tell me whats wrong w/ this its driving me nuts, thanks

Last edited by Chevy-man; April 17th, 2011 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Wrong words
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the relays in the box under your hood? This box will contain the ignition, fuel pump, and a few other relays that you will need to check or replace. I don't believe a fuse would be out given the sporadic nature of your description. It could be a loose connection at the fuse or relay.

I had a Pontiac with an intermittent issue with the cooling fans. It turned out the relay terminals for the fans were in very poor shape. After further inspection all the terminals were bad. Looked like someone was sticking a large sized probe into each terminal causing them to expand and not make contact with the relay.

If it's me....I would pull the horn relay out and mark it with something that you can easily see like a paint stick or a white marker. Then pulling the other relays and swapping it with the horn relay (ONLY ONE AT A TIME). Once you have swapped the relays out try and start the truck. If it starts them there you go. If not, then swap them back and go to the next one and repeat until the truck starts. If it does not start then obviously it is something else. However if it does start then you will need to swap the relays back to the OEM locations and buy a new one for the malfunctioning one. These relays maybe different amps and may not sustain long term use in the new location. I do this trick all the time and it works out great to "test" the function of the old one.

Hope it helps.