Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Chevy silverado Defrost stuck

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy silverado Defrost stuck

Can someone please help. I have a 00 silverado and the only air that comes out of my vents is the defrost? I want to be able to change where the air flow is coming out but I don't know what to fix.

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stuck on Defrost Setting...?

Hey EagleEye82, or anyone, did you ever figure out how to fix your "stuck on defrost" mode? My 2000 silverado just started up with the same issue. Did you have to replace the dash control set module (three dials)? Was there as simple reset?

I pulled my control set out to look at at, and don't know how to tell if that is it or not?

Thanks!!!
Old February 20th, 2012, 8:51 PM
CF Veteran

more than likely you have an air door or actuator broke/stuck
Old February 21st, 2012, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Yep, you were correct. I ended up taking the actuator off that controls the location of the air (feet, face, window defrost) and fixing it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
After messing with it a little, I found that it was "stuck". It was out of sync. I took the actuator apart, and found that the biggest gear had a crack in it. That caused it to slip and get out of sync. It still worked, so I then pulled out the metal "barrel connector" that has the stop tab, and then moved it so that it was in sync with the direction of the fans. It works now, but if it does this again, I will go buy a new one and install it.<o></o>
<o> </o>
To Sync it was a bit tricky, but I figured it out. The unit will turn all the way one direction until it hits the stop tab. I think it was the Defrost position. The other direction takes its cue from that one end stop.<o></o>

Thanks…