Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Silverado fuel problems??

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012 | 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Silverado fuel problems??

I got this truck a while back, but just started driving it, and I'm having an issue. When you go to start the truck, sometimes it'll start right up and sometimes it will crank and crank before it will start. It's acting like the gas isn't staying in the fuel line and is bleeding off. And sometimes when you come to a stop sign/light, it will idle real low and shut off, if you keep your foot on the gas a little it will do fine though, any ideas of what it could be? Thanks for any help
Old October 4th, 2012 | 3:59 PM
CF Monarch

Whats the idle rpm, and what engine? Could be fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. Can you hear the pump trun on with ignition switch on?
Old October 4th, 2012 | 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Whats the idle rpm, and what engine? Could be fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. Can you hear the pump trun on with ignition switch on?
It seems to be idling around 500 when it's doing that, and it's the 5.3L. You can hear the fuel pump running. Someone told me earlier that it may be the pressure regulator, how can I check it?
Old October 4th, 2012 | 5:59 PM
CF Active Member

That is the classic sign of a failing fuel pump.

Jack up the truck bed sideways to about a 45* angle but leave the bolts in and loose on the hinged side.Put blocks of wood to secure the bed and make SURE it is stable.

Access the pump from the top of the fuel tank...no need to remove the tank..too much work.

I did it no problem and worked perfectly.

Buy a GM pump to replace it so you don't have to do it again soon
Old October 4th, 2012 | 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Alright, I'll see about it, I was told it was that regulator because of the gas not staying in the lines, but idk, may as well replace the fuel pump, thanks for your help
Old October 4th, 2012 | 7:45 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Reedytlr
Alright, I'll see about it, I was told it was that regulator because of the gas not staying in the lines, but idk, may as well replace the fuel pump, thanks for your help
Regulators rarely fail...pumps are almost a given to fail on these trucks around 150K miles.

It may appear the gas is not staying in the lines but in fact the pump can no longer build enough pressure to keep the line full....thus the erratic behavior you describe.

Report back here and let us know how it went...by all means try to do it yourself...the dealers want around 900 bucks.
Old October 4th, 2012 | 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Alright, thanks a million, I'll try it, I have to pull the bumper back off tomorrow and the bed isn't completely bolted down, so I may set it off and check it
Old October 4th, 2012 | 9:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Use only an AcDelco or Delphi pump.
Old October 6th, 2012 | 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well yesterday I ran up to a buddy's house to get something, and he has a truck like mine, so we switched out the regulators to completely rule that out, and that actually fixed so, so I'm on the road again!
Old October 7th, 2012 | 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

That's great news!
You dodged the bullet on that one with a much easier fix.
Well done.