Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2002 Silverado Transmission or Rear End trouble

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2008, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Silverado Transmission or Rear End trouble

I have a 2002 Silverado Z71 with 5.3 engine which I bought new. Two years ago at 58,000 miles my transmission went out. I think the name of the part that broke was called a "sun shell" or something like that. (I am in no way a mechanic) I was told by the service rep at the Chevrolet dealer that that was pretty rare. I do not drive the truck hard and only occasionally pull a 16' aluminum boat. Anyway, about$1400 later I was good to go.

New problem: Last night I was backing from a parking space and heard and felt a clunk. I thought thathad ran over something, but didn't. I continued backing up and felt and heard a clunking noise along with the truck surging. In drive, it did the same thing for a few feet then quit. I tried listening for any additional noises, but due to rain and traffic noises, I couldn't hear anything. I drove about 5 miles to my house and once again tried reverse. Seems like went going into reverse there is a louder clunking noise than usual. In my driveway I could hear kind of a dragging noise when driving forward and in reverse. It is hard to pinpoint the noise, but I kind of feel like it may be in the rear end. Any ideas guys? Obviously something is broke. I am just trying to prepare myself for how much it is going to hurt my already suffering wallet.