Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado 2500HD cam option

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado 2500HD cam option

I have an 04 crew cab 2400HD silverado with the 6.0L LQ4. I am wondering what the best cam would be for for this truck. It has a K&N drop in filter, and a Diablo U7193 handheld tuner. I was thinking maybe a set of heads but I am now thinking a cam would be the best option for now. I want a little chop at idle and good drivablity. I am hoping over the next 2 years of doing an LS2 in place of the LQ4 but we'll see where that goes.

Thanks alot everyone!!
Old September 17th, 2011, 7:26 AM
CF Active Member

Does your Diablo handheld tuner help with mileage and/or performance? Would you recommend it to someone in the market for a handheld tuner? I also have the 6.0L and I'm looking to get better mileage and more power for passing and towing, and to correct my speedometer. I don't like the idea of sending my stock computer to a tuner for reprogramming, so I'd like to stay with a handheld tuner. I also have a K&N CAI on mine. Sorry I could'nt help with the cam question
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

If you go on Comp Cams,there is a cam quest to look at backed up with a tech line.A general rule of thumb is a cams with a duration less than 230 and center lines 112 to 114 for tuneablility.
Old September 17th, 2011, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by grumpychevy
Does your Diablo handheld tuner help with mileage and/or performance? Would you recommend it to someone in the market for a handheld tuner? I also have the 6.0L and I'm looking to get better mileage and more power for passing and towing, and to correct my speedometer. I don't like the idea of sending my stock computer to a tuner for reprogramming, so I'd like to stay with a handheld tuner. I also have a K&N CAI on mine. Sorry I could'nt help with the cam question
It helped with both, mileage and power. In economy mode I was able to get 15.7 MPG highway and it was about stock performance. In performance mode it really helped with get up and go. You can also go into tune menus and change injector slope, ignition timing, pulse length, speedo cal. raise RPM recline, raise top speed, and a shot load of other things. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old September 19th, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the info on the Diablo handheld. Good luck with your cam.