Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 silverado will not start

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 silverado will not start

Well ive started to notice some weird electrical issues with my truck over the past month. Sometimes when i start up the truck and turn the ac on the heater kicks on. If i put it in neutral shut off then turn on again the ac kicks on. The other day I hoped it my truck and it wouldnt start. The battery appears to be fine and there no clicking noise just silence except for maybe some small noise from relays or fuel pump maybe. I try and try and try and nothing then all of a sudden it starts with no problem. A week later same thing. Today same thing except for it hasnt magically fixed itself yet. I pulled of battery post cleaned and reconnected and it didnt work. i switched the starter relay and park relay it didnt work. I tapped on the starter it didnt work. One thing I have noticed is my steering wheel isnt locked when i remove the key no matter what it turns freely.
Old November 8th, 2009, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your main battery line of your POS side all the way. Sounds like something like that seeing as how your problem is intermittent.
Old November 8th, 2009, 4:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey jasonphoto01,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

There may be other issues, but eliminate the least expensive one first, instead of sidestepping over it. Corrosion goes down the wires, underneath the insulation, and cleaning the terminals is also a great thing to do WHILE YOU'RE CHANGING THE WIRE, but almost useless in itself. Change the big three. (Positive, Negative, and the Engine-to-body ground strap)

That third one can be tough, just add a negative cable from the passenger side firewall to the passenger side engine head. In the event you still have other problems, you've leveled the playing field, and provided your battery with a clean wire for current flow.

Have your battery tested, most large parts stores do it for free.

Last edited by therewolf; November 8th, 2009 at 4:33 PM.