Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

2005 Silverado Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado Transmission Problem

I have a '05 Silverado 1500. It will shift into second but as you accelerate it revs up but won't shift or increase speed. There are not engine lights on. Any suggestions?
Old April 19th, 2011, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a new transmission.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Active Member

GREAT answer, need a new transmission, so tight lips, what's wrong that is causing his whole new transmission problem. Plus, I'd like to know how many miles he has and if he tows things and what his driving habits are. Then his question and your answer in this forum would give useful information to the rest of us. We could learn things like how to avoid the need a new transmission thing or maybe find out that chevy has a transmission warrenty issue.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Have the same issue on my dads 2005 2500 hd and the truck has been treated very well. no rough driving at all, haven't towed anything big or anything that would raise concern. also had the same on my truck and eventually my transmission broke, thankfully in the driveway. i went to the best shop in town according to all the mechanics i know and they old me why it broke. GM transmissions are built stock with clutches that are made of a hard plastic type material, and tend to break. There are also some other parts that are made of this material that can break. so in short you do need a transmission or a rebuild.
i would suggest a new one altogether since a rebuild will generally just replace these parts. i got a jasper transmission because jasper replaces all of those pieces with steel parts. haven't had a problem since, my dad's is due for one though
Old April 20th, 2011, 8:28 AM
CF Active Member

Now that's a reply with good informantion that lots of people can use!

Originally Posted by Hunt4X4
Have the same issue on my dads 2005 2500 hd and the truck has been treated very well. no rough driving at all, haven't towed anything big or anything that would raise concern. also had the same on my truck and eventually my transmission broke, thankfully in the driveway. i went to the best shop in town according to all the mechanics i know and they old me why it broke. GM transmissions are built stock with clutches that are made of a hard plastic type material, and tend to break. There are also some other parts that are made of this material that can break. so in short you do need a transmission or a rebuild.
i would suggest a new one altogether since a rebuild will generally just replace these parts. i got a jasper transmission because jasper replaces all of those pieces with steel parts. haven't had a problem since, my dad's is due for one though
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Just had this same issue with my truck and I was leaning to what I hope is the problem actually is 3nd 4 gears slipping 1 nd 2 is just fine after I replaced a cracked adapter,,
what I found out is da 3-4 clutch pack burned out
and cost a lot less than a new tranny
let me tear it apart and do a follow up......
Old February 22nd, 2014, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

could be a bad solinoid 30 bucks but could be clutch pack,
Probley better off taking it to a professional
Old February 22nd, 2014, 5:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tblt44
could be a bad solinoid 30 bucks but could be clutch pack,
Probley better off taking it to a professional

If it is slipping, it's slipping no gettin' around it. A transmission shop quoted this fella $2500 to repair. I can do it for under $200 and that's paying me rather well.

Allan

Old March 21st, 2014, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

I have a similar issue, my tranny seems fine but when I "get on it" hard it will reach max rev for that gear and take forever to change up a gear, I usually get up around 70 or 80 mph and it will take about 5-10 sec to change to the next gear. help?
Old November 15th, 2021, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=kelannigan;179241]I have a '05 Silverado 1500. It will shift into second but as you accelerate it revs up but won't shift or increase speed. There are not engine lights on. Any suggestions?[/QUOT I'm having the same problems but when i push the button on the shifter it displays a picture of a tow trailer and it shifts then when I reach 40 mph I have to click again and it shifts fine I can get it to 60 mph but the gauge reads 3000 rpm

Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado Transmission Problem