Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2006 Vibration while idling

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2007, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Vibration while idling

Hello. First time poster. I ran a search here before posting as I know it can be annoying when the new guy asks a question that has been asnwer many times before. While I found discussions on vibrations while driving, my problem is while idling.

Truck is 2006 Silverado, crew cab, 4*4 with 5.3L. I am only owner, owned 14 months and have 15,000 kms (say 9,500 miles). Mileage has been easy paved highway mileage from weekends to the cabin. Truck isn't driven much during the week as I work away from home so the vehicle sits in the garage.

I have a vibration under the hood, whether idling or driving. It cycles in and out, makes no difference if I have theventilation on or off (ie fan, defrost, a/c). Vibration can be felt by me in the vehicle. Noticable to all when placing hand onthe hood, very noticable are the dancing hoses and wires on the drivers side, near the firewall, when the vibration kicks in.

I noticed the problem after driving the truck two weekends ago on a gravel road. There was some early season snow so we had the 4*4 engaged for safety rather than neccessity since it was sloppy out (say 40 minutes in total on gravel road). We also needed to use the window defrost that day. We never noticed anything while driving home. We washed it and parked it in the garage. When I went to use it next (about 5 days later) I noticed it.

The dealership agrees they see and feel the vibration, but tell me it is normal (ie there are no error codes). They can't explain to me why this is normal, what causes the vibration or show me another vehicle that does this. When pushed they said the engine wasprobably just breaking in. If this is breaking in I hate to see it in another 6 months! My previous trucks never did this. Our 2 cars don't do this. I don't think this is normal. Can anyone help with some suggestions? Please!!!!

Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Vibration while idling

I know this is going to be a pain, but check the air intake for dirt and grime. My driving habit are similar and I noticed the problem on my 02 Silverado. I have found that cleaning the air intake on the engine seemed to remedy the problem of vibration. I have a K&N filter and the problem is aserbated, especially when I am tardy in cleaning the filter. Normally, I clean the filter, clean the airhorn, reinstall, and check the MAF. To date the vibrations go away. I have seventy plus miles but you can eat off my engine. Hope that helps.