Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado front brakes

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2008 | 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Silverado front brakes

I just had the first service done on my 2008 Silverado. It has 3600 miles on it. While doing the oil change they inspected the truck and found that the front brake rotor were grooved. They replaced the rotors and pads under warranty saying it was a know problem that is happening within the first 5000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old October 5th, 2008 | 10:48 PM
Banned

Default RE: 2008 Silverado front brakes

#PIT4049B: Scored Appearance On Front Brake Rotors - keywords disc groove pad - (Jan 28, 2008) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Scored Appearance On Front Brake Rotors[/align][align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2005-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic with RPO JF3 or JF7[/align][align=left]

2005-2007 GMC Sierra Classic with RPO JF3 or JF7[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL[/align][align=left]

1500 Models[/align]

[hr]

This PI is being superseded to update modelyears. Please discard PIT4049A.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment on a scored appearance of the front brake rotors. This scoring could be caused by the make up of the front brake lining. The brake lining formula has ingredients to clean rust off the rotor braking surface. This cleaning feature of the rotor braking surface may have a side effect of scoring.
Recommendation/Instructions:
This scored appearance is normal as long as no other symptoms are experienced such as pulsation, roughness, noise, and the scoring does not exceed the specification in SI Doc ID 1476240.[/align][/align]
Old September 10th, 2009 | 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation My 2008 Silverado with 15,000 miles & hot spots on brake rotors

I took my 2008 truck (15,000 miles) into the dealership to have them check out the issue I had with my brakes after my road trip from Eastern NC. to Western TN. I-40 takes you right through the mountains, that is where I started having issues with my brakes. The roads were dry and the conditions were normal for a summer day on the road. Somewhere on I-40 as I started down the mountains roads, when I would start to slow down because of a turns and to keep my speed down, my truck would start to vibrate. It got to a point that where I thought one of my wheels was going to fall off. I took the truck in and the service department just called me and said they found some hot spots on the rotors. During the road trip I never got any anti-lock brake lights(traction light) After we got out of the mountains I tried to get the brakes to do it again and could not. The dealership is turning the rotors at this time.
Old September 14th, 2009 | 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 silverado and I had to replace my front brakes at 23000 and turn my rotors. Now 2000 miles later my brakes are sqeeking and gm is saying its the brakes and i need to pay to get them replaced. any one else with this problem. BY the way this is my 5th time in the dealership with sqeeking brakes any recommendations?
Old September 18th, 2009 | 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

i had 9000k on my 2009 chev and the beaks squeek a lil ... its not nessasarally a bad thing... i hear bmw and nissan gtr's breaks squeek once in a while also.... it common
Old September 18th, 2009 | 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

i have an 08 crew cab. i have the same problem. 28000 mi on mine. ive had my rotors turned once. its been 2,000 mi after that and they still squeek and ive noticed a new groove on the inside of one of my front rotors. the dealer is trying to say the squeeking is normal, but to me its pretty excessive. when the trucks due for an oil change im going to complain some more about them. we shall see what happens.
Old September 20th, 2009 | 9:51 PM
CF Junior Member

my 2008 silverado rotors grooved at 10000 miles so i took it too the dealership and got them replaced. then at 15000 miles it did it again so i bought aftermarket rotors and pads and now i have 67000 miles and not a problem since
Old September 21st, 2009 | 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

How much did those aftermarket brakes & rotors set you back? Did you get them off the web? If so, what site?

Last edited by brightkl; September 21st, 2009 at 9:48 AM. Reason: opps!!
Old September 21st, 2009 | 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Update!!! I just got back from my trip to TN & back again. No problems with the brakes on the trip out to TN. But, on the trip back the truck did start to shake slightly and I could feel it inside the truck. The dealership turned the rotors the last trip in but did NOT change the pads. It seems to me that if you turn rotors you would change the pads also. I just talked to them again. They are checking into it...Will keep you posted.
Old September 21st, 2009 | 5:55 PM
CF Junior Member

I bought my rotors through O'reilly but they screwed up my ticket and only charged me $30 per rotor. the pads were like $40

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado front brakes