Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado transmission fluid in rad

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2014, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly not sure but I just had a guy scan it while driving, he says the scanner is showing fourth gear. he's says it's flaring in third and slipping in fourth. So in other words there is no third. I'm probably gonna drop it off at a transmission shop tomorrow. One code that did come up was a failure to communicate with the Ecm.....checked all the fuses and they were fine.
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

If I could get some other opinions here it would be great....

If it comes down to it what would you do?

1.Rebuild transmission
2. Swap out for a new one
3. Upgrade to a better transmission

Keep in mind I hual a 7500lbs daily with this truck so if I have to spend the money I would like to speed it wisely. Just added extra springs a little over a month ago, replaced front and rear breaks, upper and lower ball joints, only use synthetic oil, replaced tps sensor, evap vent solinoid, evap purge solinoid, upgraded tires to 80psi 10 ply, new rad all in the past 12 months. Wish I bought a 2500 hd but you learn and live and move on. Owe too much on the truck to trade it in so I'm stuck with it......
Old December 12th, 2014, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Four days later and a little R&R. Yup burnt out third, upgraded to the corvette servo, beefed up the guts to make it HD. Soo disappointed with GM. Cringing at the thought that a rad leak could do so much damage. Really bad design..geez.
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts
Default its not a gm thing

every manufacturer builds them the same way...trans fluid going through the rad...even when a separate trans cooler is used. Running any trans wilth coolant in the trans fluid will burn it out. Its very hard to flush coolant out of the transmission even with trans fluid exchange equipment...they almost always need a teardown.
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

I understand the concept but what I can't come to grips with is the fact this Truck was $54,000 off the lot canadian, and I've spent thousands on preventive matentence and yet here I am with problems. After reading some of the post here I am now concerned with the AFM Lifters. I've always heard noises coming from the engine on startup but it goes away after a half hour of driving. It has however gotten louder over the past two years. With over 10k in repairs and maintenance the past year a blown engine is enough to put anyone out of business in a hurry. I guess I'm going to really have to do some research on the next purchase.
Old January 16th, 2015, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default P0705

Andddddd......The curse continues.

A few days ago I started to hear a noise coming from the front end while I was reversing. Kinda sounded like a tic,tic,tic.tic and I could feel the vibration under my feet as it was ticking. Anyways, I pull up to a customers and load up my truck. Go to turn it over and nothing, apply the breaks shift it to neutral and the display doesn't show that its shifted in neutral. Turn it over and it fires up. Start shifting the lever back and fourth the the break engaged and finally the display is indicating the gear. At this point I notice there is no 1st gear, the lever goes all the way down but it says its in 2nd. I call the tranny shop that just rebuilt my transmission and he says bring it by. I get it over there and he takes it for a ride. He's says its not a transmission problem it's in the transfer case. I ask him to scan the vehicle and p0705 comes up, he says you need to bring it to a mechanic. I go to leave and again I have nothing, truck turned on no problem but no gears would engage. Nothing, no reverse forward nothing. I was there for about 20 minutes shifting the lever back and forth and switching my 4x4 etc. It finally released and I could drive again. Got it to my shop but now its not moving. I noticed when I put it in neutral and rev the engine the rmps will increase normally but when in gear regardless of forward or reverse it won't let the truck rev past 2000. It just starts to bog down or out not sure how to explain it. So again I have to ask, has anyone had any experience with this? I'm really in a tight spot now and not very much time to react. Thanks