Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Chevy questions

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy questions

I have a 2009 Chevy 1500 4x4 with AFM (i think thats what its called, where it switches to 4 cylinder mode). On my old 2001 Z71 i had true dual straight exhaust and loved it. I would like to do the same with this one but the exhaust components look a little more complicated. I was wondering what i would have to do, or if it was even possible. If i did it without disabling AFM it would sound like a 4 cylinder right? How Would i go about doing that? Would there be any negative consequences for doing it? And any other information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM
CF Junior Member

You could do the exhaust , you can tell if it in afm mode by the sound of the exhaust
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We actually did duals on a friend of mines truck with the same system. You will be happy to know that it didnt sound anything like the ricers that make your ears tickle when they drive by. We did his with 3 inch pipes and flowmaster delta 40's. It is loud as all get out on take off, however cruising on the highway it has a much softer and mello tone.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 05Z71CREW
We actually did duals on a friend of mines truck with the same system. You will be happy to know that it didnt sound anything like the ricers that make your ears tickle when they drive by. We did his with 3 inch pipes and flowmaster delta 40's. It is loud as all get out on take off, however cruising on the highway it has a much softer and mello tone.

The thing is.. i want straight pipes from the converters. No muffler at all. I know it probably aint legal but i live in a small town and the cops dont enforce it at all.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skdante5
The thing is.. i want straight pipes from the converters. No muffler at all. I know it probably aint legal but i live in a small town and the cops dont enforce it at all.
The problem with that is the risk of losing the back pressure required for the engine to run efficiently and a host of other problems when the weather gets real cold out.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Yea i figured that. For now i just cut off the muffler and put a Y pipe. I just want it as loud as possible. But i guess ill have to stay with that unless theres any other way.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just run your straight pipe like you want to and add a x pipe in there....as for the AFM you can definitely tell when you have pipes. When it goes to 4 cylinder mode your exhaust will sounds weird then it'll switch back. My dad had it on his vortec max when he put pipes on it and hated it. Got it tuned and got that taken off along with a lot of other stuff. If you don't get it taken off you'll be replacing donut gaskets quite often
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
just run your straight pipe like you want to and add a x pipe in there....as for the AFM you can definitely tell when you have pipes. When it goes to 4 cylinder mode your exhaust will sounds weird then it'll switch back. My dad had it on his vortec max when he put pipes on it and hated it. Got it tuned and got that taken off along with a lot of other stuff. If you don't get it taken off you'll be replacing donut gaskets quite often
If i dont get what taken off? The AFM?

whats the best way to do that? programmer?
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah if you don't get the AFM taken off and you put an exhaust on it, you'll be replacing donut gaskets...my dad got his truck tuned. I don't know if a programmer will take it off or not but the tune is definitely better