Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2010 Silverado steering wheel radio controls HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Silverado steering wheel radio controls HELP!

Got a new 2010 Silverado 1500 Z-71 LT w/ cruise control but no steering wheel radio controls.........Dealer tells me they cannot and will not install them. I find it hard to believe that a GM certified Tech at my dealership cannot upgrade my 2010 Silverado radio and steering wheel. Bottom line is I should have bought the truck with it but didn't think it was such a big deal to upgrade.

Anybody have any luck upgrading after the fact or any ideas to upgrade.
Old May 20th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Active Member

I am not sure if you could really change it or not. in order to get the 34 fuction computer I think you needed to order the steering wheel controls. you could always call another dealer and see what they say. if two places tell ya no, then you might be out of luck.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Brdfixr.... let me know what you find out .... I am wanting to do the same thing to mine. I did ask my "local" town dealer service tec. and he said if I can find the steering wheel and swap it out... if anything would not work right ... they would take a look to see then. But I havent found a steering wheel yet, so let me know!
Old May 24th, 2010, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Found this forum that discusses in detail what is required, a good read!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...steering+audio
Old May 24th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

That works.. Thanks brdfixr~
Old May 28th, 2010, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

I talked to my local dealer today about the radio controls. The Service manager said that the BCM would need to be re-programmed. And sometimes you can't re-program it, you would need to order a new one at about 300 bucks. So I am still un-sure on that ... I would have to wait to see what needs to be done after someone else does it.

Hope that helps
Old June 6th, 2010, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2010 silverado LT and am thinking of adding steering wheel controls, I have cruise and the dealer told me that he has never done it and he may have to replace the Bcm. I am also trying to have PAL for an ipod installed but the dealer says that 2010's are different from 07-09's. I will post any info that I get.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks DMD77, I haven't checked any of the other Chevy dealers. I might check a few more locally and see what I find as well. Thanks for the info, keep me posted if you find anything out and I'll do the same.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevyman04
I talked to my local dealer today about the radio controls. The Service manager said that the BCM would need to be re-programmed. And sometimes you can't re-program it, you would need to order a new one at about 300 bucks. So I am still un-sure on that ... I would have to wait to see what needs to be done after someone else does it.

Hope that helps
Chevyman04; That is almost the same thing my dealer said " It's not recommended....or......I don't think it can be done". Even if I paid for them to investigate what I needed to add the steering wheel controls they still would not do even look into it! Turns out they only "SELL" vehicles and fix them when they break, not modify them from the factory unless of course you want to add a $500 after market add-on that has been customized with a Chevy Bow-Tie, they'll gladly do that for you. These guys are supposed to be FACTORY trained GM technicians, not some run of the mill backyard mechanic with a Tech II programmer, I mean really.
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
CF Active Member

it seems most gm shops out there are that way. but even if someone there did want to try it or could do it there work might not let them do so. You could keep trying different dealships and see if you can find the right person. or post a ad on craigs list for a gm tech to help you that would be willing to try this?

Quick Reply: 2010 Silverado steering wheel radio controls HELP!