Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 2500HD Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2015, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 2500HD Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Less than 30 days out of my bumper to bumper and less than 25k miles on my truck

Got in my truck to drive home for lunch yesterday and the Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Lights lit up. So I limped it home, less than 3miles and city streets here are only 25 mph. This just happened out of the blue, no issues in the slightest until this.

The check engine light started blinking when I backed out my driveway to get it in the shop. My preferred dealer is 10mi away. My dealer said if it was blinking I'll need to tow it. We also have another dealer 3mi away. Surely I can limp it 3mi without damaging my truck?

I used the Torque app to scan fault codes and it gave me a P0304.

Is there anything I should check before taking it in?

Last edited by enderst; July 24th, 2015 at 8:58 PM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Limped it to the closer dealer and had to leave it. No details :'(
Old July 24th, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Got a call from the dealer yesterday that clearing the fault codes last Saturday also cleared up whatever was ailing it. He offered to have someone drive it to make sure all was well and call me back, no call. Today I hear nothing so I call and they assure me that that service will get in touch and update me, no call.

I knew I should have taken it to my preferred dealer. These guys closer are known to provide crappy service.

I'm going in there tomorrow so they don't have to worry about calling. Who knew a check engine light would be so troublesome. They shouldn't let lube techs pull fault codes and clear them....

/rant
Old July 25th, 2015, 7:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey enderst,

We can definitely understand how not receiving follow up from the dealership can lead to uncertainty and frustration. This isn't the experience we wish for our customers when working with the dealership so we do apologize. I see you're planning to visit your preferred dealership soon and I hope they're able to get this taken care of for you. If you'd like to file a formal complaint for your experience at the original dealer feel free to let us know. Just PM us your VIN, exact mileage, contact information, and the dealership's name/location. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Amber,

I'm not going to my preferred dealer today, my truck is still at the other/closer dealer.
I will be visiting my preferred dealer for regular maintenance.

Thanks for your response.
enderst
Old July 25th, 2015, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Well, no notes on the R.O. awesome.

I explained everything to the service writer and the fault code I pulled with Torque P0304.
She said she would have the parts courier test drive and get back to me. Then asked if there was time for them to wash my truck.

She just called me back and confirmed the misfire in #4 that the spark plug needs to be replaced and after parts, labor and diagnostics(/me rolls eyes) would be about $125ish.
Also said there were leaks in the power train that they would fix today that was covered under warranty. I reminded her that I have less than 25,000 miles on it and that I'm less than 30 days out of my bumper to bumper and asked if this was typical because I'm not someone that buys a truck every couple years, more like 10yrs for me. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come with this truck.

One more thing, got my OnStar Diagnostics Report for July email, 'Remaining Oil Life: 100%' grrr they reset that. So now I need to figure out where I am with that. I know was 50% maybe less.

I'd much rather be posting about how happy I am and how great the truck and the service dept was.
Just not feeling it.
Old July 25th, 2015, 3:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me, enderst, and sorry for the misunderstanding. Glad to hear the leaks will be covered under warranty and will be repaired today. Again, very sorry to learn you're facing this situation. If there's anything else we can do to help, or if you'd like to speak further we're available via private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

Well, got it back.
Replaced #4 spark plug as expected.
They also found and fixed under warranty:
RF inner shaft bearing and inner shaft seal - had leaks
R-L/R rear axle seals and gaskets - had leaks
Replace parking brake shoes on both sides

Should I be concerned with the warranty repairs? I'm halfway to my next oil change that I have done at my preferred dealer. How possible is it that the leaks on my truck with less than 25k mi cropped up before my next oil change or were not noticed at the previous oil change? Is the lube tech(s) at my preferred dealer pencil whipping the inspection sheet or was the warranty work over trumped-up repairs?

Maybe I'm letting the fact that a simple diagnosis and repair took one week get to me.
Glad there is a forum to vent.