Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird, mine has the same issue. I have the 2011 Florida Edition 4x4. I also thought is what because the truck sat for so long. The dealership spent quite a bit of time road force balancing the tires and it helped quite a bit. Whats really wierd is one day it will ride like a Cadilac and the next day ride rough. I personally feel its the Goodyear tires though. Not a fan of those. When they wear out I will switch to another brand.

Last edited by justlkn; February 16th, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Stupid Typos
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Just did a search and brought me here
I bought a 2011 silverado crew cab last month
Has a slight vibration starting about 40mph and on
It is completely in the rear the steering wheel doesn't vibrate
I had a dealershiP rebalance the tires at 1100 miles and I'm going to a different dealership on Monday to see if they can do anything (since I bought it from them)
Also mine is a LT 2wd with the 3 in the VIN

Last edited by Exhausted; February 16th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

I can't believe anyone hasn't brought this up already, but has anyone considered going through the Better Business Bureau to proceed with a Lemon Law buyback? For many of you, this would be an open and shut case and you'd be able to ditch your unfixable truck. I had a 1998 Chevy Tracker that I bought brand new off the lot with 0 miles. First/only brand new vehicle I've ever purchased. Nothing but problems. Literally spent more time in the shop than in my garage the first year. Chevy refused to do anything claiming that's what the warranty was for. So, I went to the BBB. I documented every call I made to chevy (time, date, rep name) and what was discussed. I documented every trip to the dealership and kept all records. At the arbitration hearing, I gave copies of my records to both the arbitrator and offered a copy to Chevy. Less than a week later the arbitrator contacted me stating Chevy would have to buy it back, minus $100/month for usage (which I felt was fair). Bam, done. I was out of that lemon and bought a 1997 (2 years old at the time) Chevy Blazer and it rolled for 175k miles before my wife got T-Boned in it and walked away unscathed.

Bottom line, if at this point Chevy doesn't have an answer to their problems with vibrations, then they'll have to deal with problems via the BBB and lemon laws and the subsequent media issues that may come of that (if any)

By the way, I don't recall the BBB charging me a penny for any of their services, unlike a lawyer.
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Seems to be quite a bit of variation in these trucks. 2wd, 4wd, 3/4 some 1/2. Different tires (mine has Bridgestones). Serial numbers starting with 3, mine starts with a 4...the most common thing is they are Chevrolets. The intermittent vibration is very confusing. Why do they vibrate sometimes and not the other?
Old February 17th, 2012, 9:38 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Todd Sandberg
I can't believe anyone hasn't brought this up already, but has anyone considered going through the Better Business Bureau to proceed with a Lemon Law buyback? For many of you, this would be an open and shut case and you'd be able to ditch your unfixable truck. I had a 1998 Chevy Tracker that I bought brand new off the lot with 0 miles. First/only brand new vehicle I've ever purchased. Nothing but problems. Literally spent more time in the shop than in my garage the first year. Chevy refused to do anything claiming that's what the warranty was for. So, I went to the BBB. I documented every call I made to chevy (time, date, rep name) and what was discussed. I documented every trip to the dealership and kept all records. At the arbitration hearing, I gave copies of my records to both the arbitrator and offered a copy to Chevy. Less than a week later the arbitrator contacted me stating Chevy would have to buy it back, minus $100/month for usage (which I felt was fair). Bam, done. I was out of that lemon and bought a 1997 (2 years old at the time) Chevy Blazer and it rolled for 175k miles before my wife got T-Boned in it and walked away unscathed.

Bottom line, if at this point Chevy doesn't have an answer to their problems with vibrations, then they'll have to deal with problems via the BBB and lemon laws and the subsequent media issues that may come of that (if any)

By the way, I don't recall the BBB charging me a penny for any of their services, unlike a lawyer.
Glad BBB worked for you, but BBB is a complete joke IMHO. Maybe it was better at the time you used them, but of the people I know that tried going through them for things got nowhere.
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by justlkn
Weird, mine has the same issue. I have the 2011 Florida Edition 4x4. I also thought is what because the truck sat for so long. The dealership spent quite a bit of time road force balancing the tires and it helped quite a bit. Whats really wierd is one day it will ride like a Cadilac and the next day ride rough. I personally feel its the Goodyear tires though. Not a fan of those. When they wear out I will switch to another brand.
I have the Bridgestones on my truck and still have the same problem. So I dont think its in the tires.
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Exhausted
Just did a search and brought me here
I bought a 2011 silverado crew cab last month
Has a slight vibration starting about 40mph and on
It is completely in the rear the steering wheel doesn't vibrate
I had a dealershiP rebalance the tires at 1100 miles and I'm going to a different dealership on Monday to see if they can do anything (since I bought it from them)
Also mine is a LT 2wd with the 3 in the VIN
Being the fact yours is a 2wd may be the reason you are not feeling the vibration through the steering wheel. I am saying that because I THINK the 4wd models are feeling it through the steering wheel because of the vibration being transmitted through the front driveshaft. But I still have no clue where its coming from.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Maybe you're right. That was back in 1999 or 2000, so times were different for sure. If nothing else, I believe all states have some sort of "Lemon Law" in place, in which case one may be able to pursue satisfaction that route, whether do so independently, through the BBB or through a Lawyer.

My BBB process was relatively easy. But one thing I found to be a VERY key difference in my outcome vs. other people's is that I documented every single detail (time, date, name of who I spoke, emails, letters, repair records, etc...). It shows detail to the arbitrator (or judge in court) and that you aren't just going off your memory (which face it, we're humans and therefore prone to having lapses of memory or inaccurate memories). The paper trail really helps solidify your position.

Either way, that's one way to go if you have to. I certainly hope they can figure out the vibration, but I agree with others in that if you drop $40k on a truck, it's 100% unacceptable to accept anything other than superior performance and handling in a truck and not settle for a ride quality that is matched by a mid 70's Stepside shortbox.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by woodrow
Being the fact yours is a 2wd may be the reason you are not feeling the vibration through the steering wheel. I am saying that because I THINK the 4wd models are feeling it through the steering wheel because of the vibration being transmitted through the front driveshaft. But I still have no clue where its coming from.
Does everyone else have the chrome clad 20's?
That's what I have
If the 2wd/4wd has to do with it Im thinking driveshaft maybe u-joints?
Maybe a bad batch...?
Old February 17th, 2012, 2:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Exhausted,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Silverado. Please keep us updated as to what the other dealership has to offer.

If they are unable to help, please feel free to contact me to set-up a case regarding this issue.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.