Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2012 2500 HD Duramax Battery Dies after 2 Days

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2012, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 2500 HD Duramax Battery Dies after 2 Days

Had this truck about 6 months 7600 miles. No problems at all until I ran over something on the road and it knocked the DEF module and wiring off the frame. This was fixed, however ever since getting this repaired if the truck sits for 2 days on day two it will not start.
Took to dealer they charged batteries and eluded that perhaps my GPS was draining it down. Left everything unplugged and sure enough 2 days later it would not start. Jumped the truck off and ran for about 2 hours, the follwoing day I started the truck turned it off no problems but the following day again it would not start. Took to dealer again and after two days and parasitic drain checks there's no problem. Dealer says after everything sleeps the current draw is about 24mA which is undere 30mA spec.There must be something wrong. I've had my GPS plugged in and the truck started fine after sitting a week. Now with nothing plugged in it won't start after two days.. but dealer cannot find anything wrong. Ideas???
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the dealer. Are there other dealers in your area?
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Monorail_Red
Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the dealer. Are there other dealers in your area?
Maybe. They have good reputation I'm picking the truck up today if I have the problem again I will try another dealer.
Old December 28th, 2012, 4:28 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

In defense of the GPS theory, I have had a near run down with my 07 Tahoe's battery that turned out to be the GPS, the battery in my Garmin has gone south and will not hold a change, however leaving it plugged in it will continue to try and charge indicated by the warmth on the back of the unit... warmth translates into power useage and battery drain... its like running a small heater !
Old December 28th, 2012, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikeyc
Maybe. They have good reputation I'm picking the truck up today if I have the problem again I will try another dealer.
Hopefully good news. Let us know!
Old December 28th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
In defense of the GPS theory, I have had a near run down with my 07 Tahoe's battery that turned out to be the GPS, the battery in my Garmin has gone south and will not hold a change, however leaving it plugged in it will continue to try and charge indicated by the warmth on the back of the unit... warmth translates into power useage and battery drain... its like running a small heater !
I have a dash cam that stays on 24/7, and it gets warm to the touch. I can let the truck sit for 3 days in the cold and I have never had a problem with it draining too much power.
Old December 29th, 2012, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Got the truck back yesterday. Dealer said they did implement a tsb but found nothing wrong. The really strange think is until recently I always left my stuff plugged in off but plugged in. For 6 months there was never an issue then all of a sudden the battery started going dead. Since then it went dead three times with nothing plugged in. Dealer ran parasitic test says draw is under 30mA minimum and has found nothing wrong. It's been colder out but I garage it and it went dead all those times while in garage. Have not tried it yet today I hope the issue is solved but since dealer finds nothing I don't have a warm and fuzzy.
Old December 29th, 2012, 8:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

when you garage park it, are you removing the key from the ignition cylinder?

Even off, the presence of the key in the cylinder will keep some modules from going into a sleep state. This will create a larger parasitic draw that the dealer wouldn't see as they would test with key removed.

Any aftermarket stuff on the truck, running lights, remote start etc

Last edited by tech2; December 30th, 2012 at 7:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone keep the ideas coming. I do pull my keys out every time I park the truck. As you all know I got the truck back Friday. Yesterday morning the truck cranked but I noticed the battery gauge seemed a little low, 3 hours later I tried to leave the house only once again the truck would not crank low battery again. The only thing plugged into thus truck is all features of the truck. I have nothing if mine plugged in to draw any power.
Finally had enough I called Chevrolet and I'm waiting on a call back from district repair team should get call tomorrow.
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:39 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

You could also try pulling a few select fuses and relays to see if you can narrow it down....
Might also try just disconnecting the battery itself to see if it runs down on its own...

Quick Reply: 2012 2500 HD Duramax Battery Dies after 2 Days