Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2012 new truck rearend clunk

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 new truck rearend clunk

Well went to another dealer and tech drove truck and said he heard clunk like I said but they "ALL CLUNK DUE TO DRIVE LINE SLOP"I asked why would a new truck have enough slop to make a clunk and what would it be like in 50k miles.NO ANSWER.But they would let me drove 1 on lot to see if it made same noise.Now this may sound dumb but isn"t there specs for the rearend that a engineer drew up and blueprints sent to the company to manufacturer the product.I AM AT MY WITS END AND RAM TRUCKS ARE LOOKING ALOT BETTER.Gm rep was to call me back this afternoon but no call this sounds like the dealer and everyone I have talked to about this new truck no answer on anything
Old December 3rd, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Yeah man mine has 204000 and makes the clunk but a brandnew truck so have no slop what so ever. Sounds like they are given you the shaft
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Rear end clunk

Hello Marbles,

I own a 2011 Silverado, ext cab with 13000 miles, it does not clunk.

I had a Ford that I took to 4 dealers 7 times, and the steering still pulled
left. I filed lemon law and got a new truck for about 15 cents a mile that I had put on the one I had. The new one pulled left, but it got taken care of.

Get a new trans/drive shaft/rear end, or a new truck.

They (GM) should take care of this problem.

Good luck.

Old December 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Try having the slip yoke greased real good. This is one area that causes clunks in the drivetrain. Mine did it real bad until I packed it with grease. It is worth a try.
Old December 5th, 2012, 7:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by marbles 1965
Well went to another dealer and tech drove truck and said he heard clunk like I said but they "ALL CLUNK DUE TO DRIVE LINE SLOP"I asked why would a new truck have enough slop to make a clunk and what would it be like in 50k miles.NO ANSWER.But they would let me drove 1 on lot to see if it made same noise.Now this may sound dumb but isn"t there specs for the rearend that a engineer drew up and blueprints sent to the company to manufacturer the product.I AM AT MY WITS END AND RAM TRUCKS ARE LOOKING ALOT BETTER.Gm rep was to call me back this afternoon but no call this sounds like the dealer and everyone I have talked to about this new truck no answer on anything
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> marbles 1965,

I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Would you please PM me the SR# on your case, so I may look into this further for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 5th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 rearend update

tried grease on yoke, then a new put in nickel plate one,the play is in rearend.FROM past trucks I would bet 99.9% its in spider gears.Working with GM rep now hope we can get this Fixed.I do not think GM designed clunking into its design.On an other note check engine started flashing and it was dropping cylinders, on way home from work going to dealer tommorrow.

Last edited by marbles 1965; December 5th, 2012 at 5:22 PM. Reason: left words out