Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2014 silverado with a bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Vibrations

Took delivery of my new 2014 Silverado LT 5.3L short bed the evening of 2 April and just loved it then. I left home in Houston to go to Detroit for a job on 3 April. Once I got up to 65mph and above, I could feel a vibration in the steering, gas pedal, everything I could touch. I also noticed that I could see the back of the passenger seat vibrating. After driving for 10 hours, I stopped for the night but swear for about 2 hours after I stopped, my legs finally stopped vibrating. I use cruise control a lot of the time but it did not make any difference whether I was using it or not the vibration was still there. As you can imagine, I was on every type of road surface you can imagine and there was no difference. It is definitely quieter but not smoother than my 2009 XFE. I am now in Detroit and not looking forward to the next long drive once I finish this job. Hope someone is working on a fix and they find it soon.
Old April 8th, 2014, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I just put 1200 miles on my 2014 LTZ Z71 with no problems or vibration. It's smooth as silk. Have to keep the music up to stay awake! Sorry to hear about your problem but I can say it's not happening on mine anyway.
It has Wrangler SRA P275 55R20.

I remember a problem I had on my 2005 GMC 3500 Savana Van that had Wranglers on it that I never rotated and had a vibration so bad I thought the wheels were going to fall off. Tire dealer said the Wranglers were known to suffer from this problem. I really doubted it because the problem came on so fast and was so violent. Put new Generals on up front fixed it immediately, and no problems since. They may not look so aggressive but the wear a whole lot better. You could see how the Wrangles tread were cupped/worn in a real bad way. But I wouldn't expect new properly balanced tires to have this problem even if they are Wranglers.

Last edited by mad max; April 16th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old April 15th, 2014, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Do you guys have the 20" rims with the Goodyear 265/20 Tires?
Old April 15th, 2014, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

What models are these tracks?, what wheels and tires do they have on them?, need more information.
Old May 1st, 2014, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Was the vibration problem fixed? My 2008 Silverado does the same thing. When going from v-4 to v-8 it has a vibration and seems to get sort of stuck then finally kick into v-8 mode. Is this a cause for concern?
Old May 15th, 2014, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

First time posting. I am on my 8th Silverado since 1997. Use them for my business and drive about 30K per year. Love my 2014 LTZ double cab 4X4 except for the vibration that has been talked about in here. Brought it in for the first oil change and tire rotation and started noticing it after that. Starts around 65 and the console and seats shake badly around 75. They tried balancing the tires (road force) but the problem still was there. It came stock with 20" all terrain Goodyears. Great in the snow. So I bought a set of take offs similar to the GMC style with Bridgestone Alenza 20" same size as stock. Same vibration, so the dealer balanced them, same problem. Left the truck at the dealer for 3 days, they balanced them again and said it was fixed, drove out and got to 65 and started shaking again. Sooo, any ideas???? Put truck in neutral, still vibrates...
Old July 17th, 2014, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a new 1500 the end of may, still the same vibration issues. so far they have found a partially seized front axle, replaced bent driveshaft and still has vibration. they are now telling me its in the rear end, GM knows about it and is working on the issue. CAN ANYONE SAY LEMON!
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Drive you mad vibration

I am having the same issues. I drive with the cruise set between 70-78 and I cannot get rid of this vibration. My center council (bench seat) vibrates an 1/8th to 1/4in in each direction. you can hear my McDonalds cub vibrate relentlessley as I drive. Had a glass bottle in the door and it was making noises too. Even my laptop sitting in the back seat with has maybe 3-4mm of wiggle room for the laptop lid when it is latched was making noises.

I'm taking my truck to the dealer first thing monday morning. This has become madning to the point where I fixate on it when driving. Can't take much more of it.

-Drew

ps this is one of numerous threads noting this issues.
Old July 19th, 2014, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

I picked up my truck last night. I was told to come and get it, chevy knows about the problem but doesn't know how to fix it.

I had previously opened a case with chevy, the dealer opened a tech case also. However when they told me they had no fix, I took it a step further. I called the Better Business Bureau. I filed a claim against GM. I had a call within 6 hrs from GM legal department. They are handling my claim now, it is in prelegal status. I told the person in legal that this has been a problem in these trucks since last year and there is still no fix. no reason to pay this much money and have problems that cant be fixed. I am shooting for a replacement.

For anyone having this problem, keep posting on these forums. It helps prove it is not an isolated case. Check out www.gm-truck.com there is a 154 page post that started last year on this topic.
Old July 21st, 2014, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

HI, my name is Jeff and I am a new member to this forum. I have a 2014 Silverado 2wd 4dr, short bed and have been battling an intermittent drive line vibration since about day 1. I now have about 3,000 miles and it has been progressively worse. I am chiming in because I have not only found the cause of 3 different vibrations, but the cause of intermittent vibration. 1 cause is when the engine drops from v8 mode to 4cyl, you will feel an engine vibration like the engine is mis-firing. This is normal. The second vibration I have found is that if the tires do not get a true, full width balance, at high speed the whole truck will get a shake in which you can even see the side mirrors get blurry do to vibration. Even just a static balance will cause this. The third and most important vibration that I have found is because of the drive shaft. The drive shaft is built with a sound resonator inside of it that has been progressively breaking apart since day one, causing the vibration to progressively get worse as more of this resonator breaks apart. So now with pieces bouncing around in my drive shaft, every time the drive shaft spins up, they catch in a different spot, causing the balance to be different every time I stop and go. My truck is now at the dealer, who is ordering a new drive shaft for me, so hope fully this is the end of my problems. I hope this helps others out there.

Quick Reply: 2014 silverado with a bad vibration