Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4.8 Doom???

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 Doom???

I bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado Step Side with its standard 4.8 powerplant (Automatic). It has 86600 miles and its starting to clunk in 2 and Reverse and I'm pretty sure its a 2-R clutch pack in this car, but definately correct me if i'm wrong. The main thing is, is there any manual transmissions (and flywheels) that directly bolt up or is the 4.8 point one of a kind?
Old June 11th, 2009, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the u-joints? The only way to fully check them is to remove the drive shaft. I do not do any internal trans work so I could be wrong but I do not think there is a 2-R clutch pack. I do not think that Reverse shares anything with other gears. Maybe someone who does internal repairs (for a living) will chime in.
Old June 12th, 2009, 4:05 AM
CF Beginner

I haven't checked the u-joints but the car seemed like it was driven like it what it was bought for. It feels likes a worn transmission clutch pack and I don't feel like rebuild it because having a manual would make it a million times times better and definitely give the true feel of the car. So I was just pondering about manual transmission options 8)
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

bump!
Old June 18th, 2009, 1:23 PM
CF Active Member

Why the bump? Do some research and post up the options your interested in.
Old June 19th, 2009, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blindsight
Why the bump? Do some research and post up the options your interested in.
How are you to assume i haven't done any research. I found out that the 4.8 was derived from the LS series, so I would think it would be the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a corvette's T56 6 speed. I also read that the camaro 5 speed is also a T56, so maybe i could either get a camaro 5 speed or bolt a corvette bellhousing on the camaro transmission. I was just wondering if there were any true chevy gear heads in this forum that would have any reputable/helpful info.
Old June 19th, 2009, 6:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yo, easy there, Kimosabe.

Most likely you've either got a crappy rag joint, or a U-joint is just gettin' ready to go. Nuthin' to get too upset about.

It might even be you need a little grease in either of the above. Check to see if either have zirk fittings.
Old June 20th, 2009, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

You guys seem to be set on the u joints and center support bearing. Ill check out when i get the chance this weekend.
Old June 20th, 2009, 3:05 PM
CF Active Member

And in my own defense, I didn't say you didn't do research, you just hadn't left us with anything to go on.