Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4l60e trans install help

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 3:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e trans install help

Hey ya'll I am fixing to buy a reman 4l60e from Power Source transmissions for my 99 silverado 5.3 z71. I have never put a transmission in but I am positive I have the ability to do it, just have a few questions. Before I take old trans out should I put in neutral and put new one in neutral or does it really matter? I know I need to obviously put fluid in before start up but a couple people say put like 6 quarts and then move up from there, is this a good way to do this? After installing and going on initial drive do I need to baby it for so many miles or am I supposed to really test it out, manual shifts, getting on it real hard, maybe make sure I can do a good burnout ? I would appreciate any feed back and if you have any tricks or something I am missing, please feel free to let me in on it. Also, I think power source is good and they seem pretty legit with their setups and 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty.
Old May 7th, 2013, 4:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always put 'em in neutral 'just because'; just makes things a bit easier to move around................actually, just to make sure it's out of park.

Find the flywheel index slot and rotate to assure accessibility. This insures that the other converter bolts will line up. Tighten this bolt first and the rest are a piece of cake.

With the truck in NEUTRAL, fill with 6 or 7 quarts. Start the engine and then add a couple more to get it up on the stick. Wheels off the floor, run the quadrant through all the ranges a few times to ensure the converter, valve body, servos, accumulators, etc. are full of oil.

Then, before you drive the truck, make sure the level is to full hot and running.

No, there is no 'break in' with these guys............drive 'er as ya like. If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

Allan
Old May 7th, 2013, 4:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks a lot Allan, and just to make sure when you say run through the quadrants through all the ranges, do you just mean run through the gears P, R, N, D and give a little gas so it goes into 1st 2nd 3rd gear and so on? And yeah I had to do a motor swap about a year back and and those fly wheel bolts are a huge pain, hopefully they come out easier this time.
Old May 7th, 2013, 6:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't give it any gas!

Just feel for the transmission to engage and shift the lever thru the ranges including reverse to fill everything with oil; let the wheels spin after you've put in about 9 quarts (if necessary).

When the clutch packs are low on oil, they are vulnerable to burn and it can happen in the blink of an eye. That's why there is no grace area between a perfectly good transmission and a cooked one; it happens so fast.

When you have the oil level up to where it should be and stabilized, then you can run 'er on up thru the gears.

Allan
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks alot for the info