Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

81 C10 steering column removal?

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2010 | 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 81 C10 steering column removal?

Hello,

I've tried searching but came up empty handed. I have a 81 chevy c10 pickup that needs a steering column replacement since it's been punched and the rack assembly is busted. There is one at a local salvage yard but they said I have to remove it myself.

Is it pretty much the same route as removing the steering wheel and going from there? Or is it disconnected from the lower part of the column under the dash etc?

Anyone have a DIY writeup anywhere? I've been doing some googling as well, figured I'd ask here as well. Sorry if it has been posted before, I couldn't find anything using the search feature.

Thanks.
Old June 8th, 2010 | 3:54 PM
CF Veteran

steering wheel does not need to come off, tho it may help. there are two bolts where column meets the dash, and 3 down at the floor board. there is also one bolt under hood where column bolts to steering shaft/steering box. this bolt is just under the brake master cylinder. unbolt the shift linkage from column, under the hood as well. this applies to auto trans only. remove these bolts, unplug the wire harness at base of column inside. also, there is a small cable that controls the gear select indicator (the PRND21 indicator) if it's automatic. easy job, should only take half hour or so, if that, to remove column fully.
Old June 8th, 2010 | 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
steering wheel does not need to come off, tho it may help. there are two bolts where column meets the dash, and 3 down at the floor board. there is also one bolt under hood where column bolts to steering shaft/steering box. this bolt is just under the brake master cylinder. unbolt the shift linkage from column, under the hood as well. this applies to auto trans only. remove these bolts, unplug the wire harness at base of column inside. also, there is a small cable that controls the gear select indicator (the PRND21 indicator) if it's automatic. easy job, should only take half hour or so, if that, to remove column fully.
Great, thanks for the information, I think I'll look at my truck and locate everything you listed just to get an idea on how to do it then go get the other one out the salvage yard. I imagine it's just about the same on trying to put it in, reverse order pretty much?
Old June 16th, 2010 | 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, I figured out how to remove the column, I just didn't notice where I disconnected the PRND21 from. I see the cable and the end piece, but i don't know where it goes, I didn't pay attention when I removed it. Anyone recall how it connects? I'm trying to find a diagram online.

Last edited by DanielC409; June 16th, 2010 at 4:38 PM.