Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

85' Silverado, Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2009, 2:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better not be diss'n mai holley, hehe. Holley fer life =p. Goodnight.. as long as you aren't talkin bad about my holley lol.
Old August 16th, 2009, 2:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holley is a good carb. I mean if you are having problems with it ptu a new one on there or rebuild your holley.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, Today I gave her a few tests. I tried the ether on the vacuum lines and got mixed results. Everytime I sprayed it around the base of the carb, it would idle up, but i dont't know if thats from it being heavy enough in the air or the gasket not sealing.

I advanced and retarded the timing to try to find it knocking.. never heard it knock, it only wanted to die.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Since you sprayed around the base of the carb and the engine smoothed out, you have a vacuum leak in that area, normally the gasket, but would not rule out the carb not fitting the intake manifold properly.

As far as timing goes I would get the engine up on the compression stroke on #1 cyl. and visually check to make sure that the distributor rotor points to #1 on the cap. If that is correct I would check to see if the firing order on the wires is correct.

Hopefully one of these sugestions may help you.
Old August 18th, 2009, 2:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Jwruss, I yanked the carb today and seen it sealed pretty good, but I figured I would make it seal better with some permatex =p. Now its drying as we speak and should be done in the morning.

In the morning, I'm gonna try to bring it to TDC and check the dist postion. I know my wires are in order, but I'm gonna check em again, just to be sure.

Now for a full size truck, 250 hp and 350 ft lbs. of torque, it shouldnt be a drag racer, but it should be able to do the speed limit easily. I'm lucky if I can get her past 3500 rpm while crusing. Not that I want to over rev it, but with my foot to the floor it should run better then it does. Am I crazy, should the truck be sluggish? Are my hopes and expectations too high?

Teflon tape should hold up to vacuum on an intake shouldn't it? I had to fab up a vacuum station to hook up all my vacuum lines and I took a few plumbing pieces and put em to work. I figured it would work, but I don't know if its causing my vacuum leak. My brother and I put it together, and he worked for 4 years in construction laying high pressure gas and water lines, so we think we got em sealed up pretty good.

Well, if all else fails tomorrow after I do TDC and checkin the dist, I guess I'll put the Edelbrock on there and see what happens. Worst thing it does is runs worse I guess.

I have dual exhaust. Its not connected with a y or x pipe or anything of the such. When I go to the rear, one side puts out more "force" then the other.. is that normal? It almost seems like cyl. #7 isn't firing. The reason I said 7 was because I did a check on the plugs and it wasn't fully colored like the rest. The funny thing is, it gets fuel and spark so my mind is telling me its firing.. but the exhaust doesnt have as much force..

I'm sorry for the long posts, I just wanna make sure I don't miss anything. I really want to thank y'all for the help you've givin me so far. It's better then having someone tell me its fine, when I know its not. I just don't know whats wrong. Maybe I'll just put a 572 blown BB in it and call it a day.. Too bad I dont have 20 grand to do that.. lol.
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, just a little update. I tried timing it with my light, and its an adjustable one. A cheap one from Harbor Frieght, so I don't know how accurate it is. I turned the *** on the back to advance it till i saw it hit my marks on the engine. I turned it all the way to 50 degrees advance and it showed up on my marks.

Well, I was listening to it, and it sounded like something was rattling. I think I got it to knock, so i turned the dist and it stopped. I turned it back to the rattle, and then slowly reversed it, until it quit. Truck seems to run smoother.

Next, during the whole timing process, I was adjusting the floats on my holley. Front was past the sights, so i kept lowering it. The rear wasn't even high enough to reach the sight plug. I raised it. Got em both in the ball park and took it out for a test. My primaries seemed about the same. The new difference i noticed was the secondaries. I took it out on a back road, and got on it. Man did she haul. Not crazy or anything but it had more power.

So my update is.. I did get it running better, but after getting her up to about 80 on a back road, she didn't run soo smooth. My tach wire came lose, so I had no tach. Then she was idling rough. I got home, open the hood and looked. Fuel pouring out the venturies. So now, I think she needs cleaned. Any ideas on fuel out the ventures, besides too high of float level?
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a new carb or rebuild yours it sounds like yours is all gummed up!
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Whoops, Double post earlier. Oh well. My uncle worked at GM for like 30 years, and he rebuilds carbs all the times. He's rebuilt mine 3 times, but with sitting all winter like it used to, its gotta be time for a new rebuild. I'll have a talk with him and see if he'll do it for me. But first, I'ma hit it with a can of Carb cleaner and see if that can knock the dirt loose. Hopefully thats my only problems.

Maybe eventually Ill give her a milder cam and a set of headers =p. That's after I get a job tho.