Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

91' Chevy 2500 Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2010, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91' Chevy 2500 Starter Question

I recently bought this truck for $800, pretty cheap and I am happy about the purchase. But I have a question, I am not mechanic just yet...I am learning but my truck won't start it doesn't even turn over.....just a click...well two of them...one being the oil gauge hitting the limit (normal) and then I listened under the hood while my dad turned the key and it clicks. He thought it might be the neutral safety switch preventing the truck from starting tested that, we tested the connections all good...turned out it wasn't either of them....so I pulled the starter...he thought that someone must have slapped a starter on because it has two terminals which he thought was not normal (not 100 percent sure if the wording is correct) which to the best of his knowledge there is suppose to be 1 been a while since he has worked on a Chevy (mainly works on Subaru's)..but it has been used and abused so I guess it couldn't hurt to pick one up....just looking for some info and advice.
Attached Thumbnails 91' Chevy 2500 Starter Question-sany0037.jpg   91' Chevy 2500 Starter Question-sany0040.jpg  
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ended up picking up a new starter with a single terminal, I am guessing that the previous owner put the wrong one in it. Heading out right now to install it....be back with update on whether it runs or not. :edit: I managed to kill my battery....I guess one of the battery cables had a break in it and touched the throttle body...sparks and now dead battery...trickle charge time....:edit: Couldn't find the trickle charger did some more looking around, had a friend come over and help me out...really really need new wiring...(bat. cables need it badly too)...the juice was getting to the starter but it wasn't making it back up...moved em around and truck started...sounds much nicer too with the new and correct starter in it...just need to pick up some new bat. cables and working on replacing the corroded wiring through out the main wiring harness.

Last edited by christred; October 26th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.