Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

91 wont start

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 wont start

When driving my 1991 C 2500 5.7L pickup and she just stopped running. So I pulled the air cleaner cranked the engine and there was gas spraying so I pulled the #1 plug and there was spark, so then I pulled the distributer cap and it was badly corroded so I changed the plugs, wires cap and rotor, when I pulled the old rotor out it was broken and the shaft was rusty, I sprayed w-d 40 on the shaft put it all back together and she still won’t start. So I sprayed starter fluid in the carb and still nothing. What should I do next?
Old July 24th, 2011, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Still learning to wrench myself but... if its broke not like you can't hurt it anymore.

Check vacuum lines
Any juice to/from starter
How old is your starter

Don't know if that was much help....just trying to learn things myself
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Junior Member

I can't remember myself on the older engines but does it have CPS (Crank position Sensor)? If not, you may have jumped timing. Is the spark blue/white or orange/yellow colored? If it's orange/yellow colored it may have a weak condensor..If it has one, it would be under the rotor. Did you check the voltage at the battery? If the battery drops below 10v when cranking it may not start.
Old July 27th, 2011, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default She Started

I dont think I have a CPS, I did remove the ignition module cleaned and put some dielectric grease and reinstalled and then she started. I drove for about 1 mile then she shut off again. I still have fuel so I guess no spark. I will try to test the module.
Old July 27th, 2011, 9:24 AM
CF Active Member

Take the module out and take it to your closest Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. They can test it. It sounds to me like that's your problem. Make sure you use di-electric grease when you install it.