Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

92 chevy 1500 crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2014, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 chevy 1500 crank but no start

I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500 350 v8 5.7l that cranks but wont start i tried looking around the forum and other places but couldn't find an answer.

i have a good battery and starter, i removed air intake and saw a spray of fuel being squirted from injectors so i think i have a good fuel pump and a good fuel filter that i just replaced. i added starting fluid but the truck wont start. i checked for spark on spark plug #1 and saw spark so i think i have a good ignition unless there's a different way to check for ignition. distributor and rotor seem ok no cracks or carbon build up since i replaced them recently.

i think my distributor is off timing because i removed the distributor to replace the oil pressure because it wasn't giving accurate readings on the gauge. is there a certain way to reseat the distributor? and how do i set TDC on dizzy to time it with the engine. i read somewhere that temperature and oil pressure sensors can cause the truck not to start. also i tried giving it gas while starting and i heard like a thump sound on the engine so i stopped trying to give it gas. any help will be appreciated alot ty

Last edited by jim_raynor610; May 31st, 2014 at 6:28 PM.
Old May 31st, 2014, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Update: i found what the problem was took me a couple of hours but it was the timing it was all out of sync. i fixed the problem and the truck started up like a champ. For those that need to set the timing here is a link that i found that may help you

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0155956AAmZwU8
Old April 3rd, 2022, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default The Things we dont try

My situation was that i had crank but no start. For a week i worked on finding a solution i replaced the starter, ignition cylinder,ignition module,ground cables, fuel relays,fuses,the battery and battery cables the whole 9 yards! I was frustrated to say the least. I had no idea what it could possibly be being that i had good continuity everywhere forums had suggested i check. Besides one option. A simple and completely free option that most wouldn't even consider. Went to the side of my truck with a breaker bar and hit the bottom of the strap where my fuel tank is a few good times and then sat in the front seat exhausted mentally from all my failed attempts and turned the key. It started up immediately as if nothing had happened. I couldn't believe it. And cussed under my breath because of all the time and money i dumped into it the past week only to realize it needed to be roughed up. Anyone reading this forum give it a shot. Its worth a shot and takes seconds. Good luck 1992 k1500 5.7L 350