Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

94 pu with 4.3 TBI runs BAD !! been sitting

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 pu with 4.3 TBI runs BAD !! been sitting

i have a 1994 1500 4x4 pickup that has been sitting appro. 18 months. now when i start it it will not idle!....once in a while it will run at 15-2000 rpm for 30-60 seconds and then begins sound like its is running out of fuel. press/pump the gas pedal and she will run back up to 15-2000rpm and begins the whole process over.
i pulled the gas line off the i throttle body and ran couple tablespoons of sea foam cleaner into the fuel line...started it up and repeated this process a couple times without any change. thought this would clean the injectors??
not sure if the egr valve is working properly? does it open after engine is running? looking at the valve it has a brass rod or plunger that appears to open up some while it running? but as the engine dies it does not appear to move back? cant be moving over 1/8 to 3/16 inch total. i have pushed it in and out a few times it is not stuck? but it may be the issue.
have not found any large vac leaks all the vacuum connectors are ok
does this truck have OBD 1 or OBD11 thought about buying a code reader but dont want to waste money but i could use on my 03 tahoe?
also where do i buy new brake lines?? all mine are rusted and need replacing. any help would be great thanks in advance !!!!
Old March 8th, 2011, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

i have done the following today....no results

1.ran a can of sea foam thru the throttle body? might clean something?
no cure for the rough idle and issues
2. pulled egr vacuum tube off egr control and connected it direct to the egr valve vacuum hose ...now i see the egr valve moving in and out with rpm's. but did not cure problems. do i need to take the egr valve off? and clean something? now the truck will idle but very rough.....press the accelerator and she still sounds like it is running out of fuel but does rev up after pumping the gas pedal
3. unplugged the MAP sensor and noted no change in the idle or running? plugged back in noticed no change.
any ideas
Old March 8th, 2011, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

sitting for 18 months?. i would start by dumping the sea foam in the tank. gas get jelly like after sitting..maybe replace the fuel filter before the sea foam. use the sea foam and take it for a ride. give it time to burn all junk out..then tune it up.
Old March 8th, 2011, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

the gas was drained all but a gallon or so and sea foam added to the left over fuel. clean fuel added then the inline filter was changed. gas was not that bad had an odor but was clean looking.
engine will not idle at all now?
plugged a paperclip into the readout port and it gave me codes in this order............12, 22, 44 i think the 12 is a startup code that has no info to be used. "throttle position snsor low voltage" is a code but it means what ?????
Old March 11th, 2011, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

alot of times the throttle position sensor gets dirty. pull it out and clean it.I have seen it cure some odd things. it is worth a shot what else do you have to lose? Post back to let us know.
Old March 11th, 2011, 8:41 PM
CF Junior Member

You probably got the code 44 when you disconnected the map sensor.
Need to check fuel pressure also. 9 to 14 psi. But i think problem lies in bad fuel.
How do the injectors look ... when spraying fuel .? Should be a nice cone shape when working right.
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

did the throttle sensor it appeared to be fine....had no breaks in the reading as a ohm meter was used to test it.
i did use an old compression gauge hooked to a hose and connected to the fuel line...got only 10 psi or less with the in tank pump, went and bought a new in tank pump.....hooked it up to my gauge and see 30+ psi at the fuel line. reconnected the lines and she runs like a new one !!!!! amazing a gasoline engine runs on gasoline if she gets enough??!!!!!!!!. looks like i have found the issue. all codes are now showiing only the 12 start up code. now for those rusted brake lines!!!! the truck has been to the beach so it is bad underside....all brake line need to be changed out so that is the job today. thanks for all the input guy's GREAT SITE!!
Old March 13th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Junior Member

If you have a tbi ... getting 30 plus psi something is wrong.
15 would be border line. How are you checking pressure?