Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

96 350 vortec no compression after head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tmlonghorns
New here and I know this thread is old but it does relate to my situation. Pretty much did the same here but I really tightened down the bolts on the rockers and tried to start engine and got nothing. Did some research and realized I messed up. Had a guy help me who thought he knew what he was doing and just assumed it would be ok. So I have a truck with no compression and not sure where to start to fix. Did I bend the valves or anything else when I cranked the motor? Is this still just a valve adjustment and perhaps even a timing issue or did I do more damage and now need a valve job? Thanks for the help
I don't know how you feel you have no compression, or if you've jacked the rocker arms down to where one or the other valves is open on all cylinders. If thats the case, what I'd recommend is back off all rocker arms and with plugs out, one by one crank over till you can adjust each rocker arm both exhuast, and intake each cylinder with the piston at tdc, then set the rocker arms with "unbent" push rods slightly touching the rocker arm to push rod on all 8. This will get you close.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having same problem right now with my 96 suburban thought it might be related to the coolant/motor oil sludge i found in engine. I was going to remove the lifters and pump them up while submerged in oil to clean them out