Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

96 gmc sierra 5.7

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2009, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 gmc sierra 5.7

My truck has been screwing up ive tried mutiple electrical parts. Ecm, mass air flow sensors , I bought another truck same year been wrecked switched over every electrical part on the motor nothing has changed, the truck will start and run then when you try to drive it, it cuts out and wont take any throttle. Sometimes you can rev it up in park but not always. I was thinkin it may be the spider injection but i really have no clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated . I took the plastic cover off the intake today and found nothing that looks to be bad.
Old December 13th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

check your fuel pressure and check for a completely clogged up cat.
Old December 13th, 2009, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

fuel pump, and filter were replaced recently ive checked pressure etc.. Exhaust system was redone not to long before this started
Old December 14th, 2009, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

anyone? this truck has me completely stumped. Is there a way to check the injectors without pulling the intake? i was thinkin about pullin the lines off where they split off under the plastic cover and making sure everything is getting fuel there? When i took this truck and had it scanned everything it showed was electrical..
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes it cost less and is less frustrating to let a qualified technician diagnose the problem for you. Cars are not as simple as they were when the were carbureted or when fuel injection first came out. New parts do not always mean they are good.
Old December 15th, 2009, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

easy to say take it to a mechanic when you are a mechanic. I was hoping for some guidance or sense of direction on this . Guess Im tryin the wrong place here. Taking it to a mechanic isnt an option for a poor guy.
Old December 15th, 2009, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Brother I'm having the same issues with a '94 Silverado Throttle Body Injected 305 V8. I have a post on here and not a single reply. I have have been battling this thing for about 5 months now.
Like you, I get no codes. I have replaced everything under the sun except the wiring. I'm going to ohm out from the ECU to every component next. If that doesn't work I'm going to put a manifold and carb on it and say the hell with it.
I'm recently unemployed and have actually taken mine to a certified mechanic and $500 later.... nothing has changed. I'm back to it by myself. I'm good with old school mechanics but TBI and ECUs are not my thing. Guess I will go with what I know! Good Luck and feel free to bounce any questions off of me because I might be able to help you avoid some of the expense I have already put out.
Old December 15th, 2009, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any codes in the computer? What is the condition of the spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires? What color is the spark at the coil and at the plug? Did the problem start happening while you were driving? What is the fuel pressure? Did you try to unbolt the exhaust in front of the cat? Did you try to switch the crank sensor from the other engine? What kind of test equipment do you have or have access to? DVOM? Fuel pressure tester? Vacuum gauge? Scan Tool with the ability to look at data? I will try to help the best I can but I need answers to all questions in order to do that. It is going to be hard to diagnose this over the Internet.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 96 that I have put a new motor and all kinds of parts into. I have just dropped off my truck at a machic for the first time in my life. Did you ever fix yours??