Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 4.3 wont start!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2009, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 4.3 wont start!

I recently replaced the motor with a reman motor and now it wont run. It worked fine when parked except for the motor had spun a bearing. It has a new crank sensor which has been relearned. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and ignition coil, fuel filter, and pvc valve. It will fire if you spray some starting fluid in it. I dont have a fuel pressure guage to test, but it seems fine and the sending unit is only 3 months old. Need help please! I have been scracthing my head over this for 3 weeks now.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CF Junior Member

The timing may be off a bit, or you may be having an issue with your injectors. It could be an issue with your computer as well. Did you get all the wiring right when you swaped the motor? Did you replace the motor with the same thing that was in it before? If you used a different year / size motor you will have to either replace or re-program the computer.

Try and crank it (without the starting fluid) and then take out a plug and see if there is gas on it...If you don't see or smell gas, then gas isn't getting to the plugs.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Or you can try unhooking the fuel supply line at the back of the engine and check for pressure there. Can you hear the pump in the tank kick on? I had a 97 and 2000 that were both FAMOUS for loosing power to the pumps. If not, smack the bottom of the tank with your hand a few good times. If that doesnt work, get a new one. Did you prime the fuel system? How long has it been setting before the new engine was installed? Could be junk in your fuel system and/or junk in your injectors.

Timing could also be off. Depends on how much of the engine you had to personally build. If Im remembering correctly, you have a 4.3L vortec.....Correct? Has a timing chain? Unless you installed the chain, more than likely its timed correct. I cant remember if it has coil packs or distributor tho! May not be getting fire there. What about a engine position sensor?

Any of this help?
Old July 28th, 2009, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

The wiring was just plug every think back in where it came from. The motor was swapped with the exact kind that was in it. The fuel pump comes on and I get fuel up to the where it turns down into the intake. The truck only sat a few days before engine was put in. The motor also came as a bare long block so timing chain and all where already installed. It would seem to me that its getting fire since it will try and start with the starting fluid. The crank sensor is new, and the computer has no codes.

How do you prime the fuel system?
Old July 28th, 2009, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Just because it will run on starter fluid doesnt mean anything. Starter fluid is a whole other ball game. It is strong stuff! It fires a lot easier. You could have problems with firing.
Easiest way to prime a fuel system to me is unhook each injector line at the injector and turn the key on until fuel comes out. Other than that you will need a way to pressurize the system.
Old July 29th, 2009, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

The truck runs now. Was a combination of circumstances. The connector to the CKP was shorting out and the ignition module went bad. Now its up and running and its missfiring on cly 5. The cap and rotor are new, wire and plugs are new, gapped correctly. Have a inline spark tester and getting spark to it. Any ideas?
Old July 29th, 2009, 9:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recheck the plug wire routing, i know it sounds dumb but its not as stupid as the guy who brought in a 93 that was running rough after a tune up, come to find out he put all of the wires on backwards and they were not fully seated on the cap
Old July 30th, 2009, 5:15 AM
CF Beginner

Wires are correct. They have been checked many times by a few people. Did a compression check 160# so I am thinking its a fuel issue for that cylinder.
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

lukemoore646: I like your sig about the engineers!! OH SO TRUE!!!!

Kobra: Have you checked that injector to see if you have fuel? Could be clogged. Doesnt take much to get one clogged.