Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 Chevy tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2014, 7:01 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Chevy tranny problems

Ive got a 99 Chevy Z71 classic body with a 4L60E transmission. Two weeks ago my transfer case started leaking. I couldn't tell where it was coming from so I just kept topping it off until I got around to it. In the mornings when I would first drive it, it would feel like somethings holding it back. Then it would go back to normal. On the way home today it was driving fine until I went up a hill and it wouldn't come out of second. I tried driving it easy home but though the drive it started popping out of second back into first. I've worked on everything on a truck except a transfer case and transmission so I have no idea what it could be. Could it be electrical? Or is the transmission gone? Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 8th, 2014, 7:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it try to move in neutral?

Allan
Old September 8th, 2014, 7:59 PM
New User

It doesn't. When not on the gas I think it's going into neutral. The RPMs go down to 1000 then when I barely touch the pedal it's back up to 3000
Old September 8th, 2014, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Sweetmoss95, Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Your tranny is showing symptoms of low fluid.

There's a good possibility if you replace your seals,

and top off the fluid, it may be OK.

Wouldn't cost you much, in any event.

That 4l60E is a tough old bird. I've got 170K on mine in my 04.

I assume you have changed the tranny filter?
Old September 8th, 2014, 8:40 PM
New User

That's what I thought it would be but I stopped on the way and topped it off with fluid and still the same thing
Old September 8th, 2014, 8:55 PM
New User

I just bought the truck a month ago. The guy before me took pretty good care of it but I didn't ask when the filter was changed. My old one was at 230k miles when I sold it. That's why it's hard to believe it blew. No grinding or slipping or anything before hand either
Old September 9th, 2014, 6:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Couple of things:

Your original post said the "transfer case" was leaking. Did you mean the transmission was leaking?

Absolute #1 fault affecting GM's transmissions is a plugged fuel filter. #2 is a faulty throttle sensor, followed by plugged CATs. In other words, the transmission cannot operate right if the engine isn't running right.

If the oil seems nice and pink, you're probably looking at a drivability issue. Brown and smelling of clutch says tranny issue.

If the transmission oil level was so low that it wouldn't stay in gear, it's gonna be cooked.

However, (and if you've already replaced the fuel filter) I'd get a scanner on this guy to find out what's going on.

Allan
Old September 9th, 2014, 9:45 AM
New User

It looked kind of brownish. I meant the transfer case because I didn't know if that would be related to the problem. Like I said I've never worked on them before. But I'll go ahead a change the filter and fluid and see what comes of it. Thank you for your responses
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
New User

Could low engine oil cause any of this? My oil pressure started going down and I realized I'd forget to check the oil. It was 2 quarts low and I filled it up and it's still doing the same thing. Is there anything I need to reset?
Old September 9th, 2014, 2:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Drop the transmission pan down. If there is any "soot" in the bottom after you pour out the oil, she's done...no use going any further.

No, engine oil doesn't enter in.

Allan

Quick Reply: 99 Chevy tranny problems