Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Aftermarket Stereo Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black wire is the ground im pretty sure you need it but i installed a stereo in one of my friends trucks and it did the same thing so i tried just holdin the ground directly to a peice of metal and it work but it wouldnt work on the wiring harnes ground but the stock one worked fine try grounding it out on a good peice of metal. and also with those wirnig harnesses you can pull one of the wire pins out of the harness real easy so try one by one just pushin them in the harness and that they are good there.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Ok major update! The stereo works, I attached the red stereo wire "ignition" wire, to the yellow "constant" power wire and it powered up. Issue: The stereo stays on when truck is off.
I looked at the actual connector in the truck, there are 9 wires on the left: speakers and ground, and 2 on the right: +12V constant power, and a Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Class 2 Serial Data.
I figured the second one should be for the red wire to shut it off, however, that doesn't work. I have also lost my steering wheel controls (I knew that was gonna happen), and my beeps, ie)door open, keys in ignition etc.
What shall I do to make this work properly now that it's narrowed down?
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM
CF Active Member

I had the same thing happen to me on my 04, I went to the local stereo place and they sold me another adapter, I it's been awhile and I don't exactly remember what adapter it was but I remember they ask if my door chime worked.after the new adapter everything worked like a champ.
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by adam86107
I had the same thing happen to me on my 04, I went to the local stereo place and they sold me another adapter, I it's been awhile and I don't exactly remember what adapter it was but I remember they ask if my door chime worked.after the new adapter everything worked like a champ.
Do you remember the cost of it? I know there is a more expensive wiring harness I can get. My basic one was $20, the one that says it will allow the beeps is around $100. This is all from Best Buy, what stereo store did you go to and do you remember what the adapter looked like?
Old January 11th, 2012, 3:59 AM
CF Active Member

I just went to a locally owned place, I don't remember how much it cost it's been like 5 years but it doesn't seem like it was too cheap.
Old January 12th, 2012, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Ok the serial data wire is for key chime steering wheel Controls Ext. There is a adapter to get some of these options to work but your Cd player has to have a serial data control port on it. And if you take a test light and check where your red wire is on your harness and find one that goes off when you cut the key off
Old February 13th, 2022, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb Unused pin connector

I purchased a Crux SOCGM-17 harness for my Planet Audio stereo and 2005 Chevy Silverado…and I still have a pin connector that was connected to my stock stereo, that has nowhere to go. It has a drain wire; Remote playback device signal wires; and cellular telephone signal wires. Any ideas?
Old February 17th, 2022, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

If you tell me the head unit type, I can tell you how it should be wired to the Crux interface
Old February 17th, 2022, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Planet Audio P9695B Car Stereo