Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Air intake resonator

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 7:46 PM
Ride of the Month
May 2008

Location: Millbrook,Alabama...Slap dab in the middle of God's country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a stud threaded into the intake, Lock two nuts together and use a wrench to turn the back nut. It should thread right out.
Old May 20th, 2009, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your intake plastic or alumnium? Mines plastic and I hate it, I have 2 studs already stripped and just spin around in the mold.I dont mean to be a buzz kill but I hear those TB spacers are just for really decked out motors, if its just stock they dont do anything, thats what I hear at least.
Old May 20th, 2009, 9:45 PM
CF Active Member

Actually it's the other way around; TB spacers do more for a stock motor than a decked out motor; you wouldn't notice any type of gains with it if you already had a high horsepower vehicle. Atleast, that's my take on it; either one of us is right, both, or neither, haha. Either way, it's really a pain in the *** to have to take those studs out. So, two nuts, threaded on there, then thread it out using the front nut or the locking nut? I'm going to assume the front, because if you tried unthreading it from the locking nut, it'd simply unlock. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys. Anything else I'm missing out on?
Old May 20th, 2009, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I found on another site.
Throttle Body Spacers (Primarily the "Helix" style):
These spacers do not provide any gains in HP at all. They claim to increase TQ and MPG but we tested one and it gained nothing. The Dyno showed no gains in HP or TQ. We also had contacted one of the manufacturers for their comments on them and here's the direct quote (from email):
--------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: AIRAID.COM Contact

Dear Sir, thank you for your inquiry in our products. The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end. If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to. You would not see any gains down the 1/4 mile or increases on the Dyno. The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage. In most cases when people install a bolt on part they expect better mileage and power, what happens is they are into the throttle a lot more than before trying to test performance and that's when the decrease in mileage happens.
Sincerely,
<AIRAID Technician>
-------------------------------------------
Points to look at:

"The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end."
"If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to."
"The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage."
So...it doesn't make any more HP, is not supposed to help in 1/4 mile performance (or on the Dyno), and is mainly for mileage and bottom end Torque. Well, Dyno's show TQ figures and there were no changes, mileage stayed the same, and 1/4 mile performance wasn't affected on the several others who have tried it"
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
CF Active Member

Well, the good part about this is that if I don't like it, I can always just remove it. I've already purchased it so there's really no going back. Also, my intake is aluminum; I didn't get to that last time.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line, if you like it , its all good Its not like you spent $300 on it. I am jealous of the alumnium manifold, why is everything new plastic these days ,lol.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
CF Active Member

on my 89 the throttle body spacer came with extended bolts to compensate. i bought it brand new though