Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Black Box/EDR

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2006, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Box/EDR

Can someone give me an authoritative answer to the question of whether a 2001 2500 HD Silverado has a "Black Box" event data recorder? If so, how does one go about getting the data downloaded?

Thx!
Old December 7th, 2006, 2:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Black Box/EDR

I can almost guarantee your Silverado has an event data recorder. General Motors has been the leader in the past 20 years in destroying your privacy rights.

If you go to Harristech.com, they have a list of covered vehicles, although it is not complete. The manufacturers are very hesitant to release information in this area, due to the fact they are trashing the Constitution and privacy rights. Can you imagine selling a product that you have pre-installed a device that you may use against the customer in future years? Don't believe all the bs about safety, the government, insurance companies, and auto manufacturers have consorted, each for the own benefit, in requiring you to buy an edr. The government and the auto companies have a million vehicles of their own that they could install these devices on, if they actually needed accident data.

I urge you to become a member of the National Motorists Association (not AAA, which is afraid to take a strong stand on the issue), which is waging a battle to make edr's the individual owner's decision, not the consortiums.

pm me if you want to know more.

carguy27

P. S. Vetronix makes the download crap for the GM vehicles. I thought of buying one myself at one time but the whole issue of black box spy device crap makes me sick to my stomach. Just go to vetronix.com. Some guys like to download the info before buying a rental car or used car to see if it was abused.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Black Box/EDR

You've got one. Check under the driver's seat. It will be under the carpet nice and hidden. Just so you know you are the "magic" year in which GM joined with the DMV installed 15 second audio recording EDR's aswell. In the results 49 of the 50 states, the last words heard in 78.2% of vehicles in an accident was "Ohhh f*ck" accept in North Dakota where in 89.7% of accidents the last words were "Hold me beer and watch this sh*t!!"