Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 7:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake Lines...?

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lines...?

Hey all I am new here and was just wondering a few things and it looks like some good people on here to possibly answer my questions!! I posted this same post in the general tech section and realized I should have put it here..Sorry!!

I have a 99' Chevrolet Siverado Ex-Cab and just blew my second brake line of the year today..! The truck only has 80,000 miles on it but is rusting out like crazy!! I admit that alot of it is my fault to some extent becuase I generally NEVER drive it maybe 2000-3000 miles a year so it sits alot.
The brake <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_2_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: darkgreen">lines</NOBR> are completely rust so I figured I will just change out all the lines.........easier set then done....

I call up Chevy garage to get all new brake lines and they tell me they can sell me a roll of line and fittings and have at it...???
Apparently GM does not sell preformed lines for this truck? i would have never thought that!!! I am actually disappointed as now I will have to spend countless hours trying to bend/form/flare all new lines to fit!!!! I have about zero mechanical ability so this ought to be fun!!

I learned a big lesson though, when I buy a new truck IT WILL NOT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT UNDERCOATING!!! This should come standard on all vehicles!!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Call around to the local parts stores.

Some vendors sell pre-bent lines.(Wagner, for instance.)

At the very least, you can buy straight lines with flares and fittings on them.
Tubing bending takes a little practice, you may want to wreck a few cheap lines to get used to it before you start with your vehicles lines.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we all gotta learn sometime and your time is now, you can get a bender and flare tool pretty cheap and go from there, but buy bulk line at a parts store just for the cost factor, its kind of like working with wood, measure twice and cut once, just remember to get home made flares very tight, i have found that they seat a little more difficult than factory flares, other than that have fun with the lines behind the tank
Old October 3rd, 2009, 9:00 PM
Ride of the Month
May 2008

Location: Millbrook,Alabama...Slap dab in the middle of God's country

Also if your take on this job, be sure you use the correct tools. Flare nut wrenches are a very good investment. Openend wrenches tend to deform flarenuts at the torque required to seal a steel flare line. Also get some good information on the flare diameter it should be available from whoever makes the flare tool. I have been in the tube fabrication business for over thirty years, a previous poster suggested buying preflared straight lines, not a bad idea the first time.
Another thought might be some of the speed/custom shops like LMC or Jegs. for prebent lines.
Good luck.
David

Last edited by Flying Low; October 3rd, 2009 at 9:05 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Try this website, classictube.com. They made a complete set from stainless steel tubing for my truck. These lines were all prebent by CNC benders and fit exactly like the OEM ones.