Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

brake problem...

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question brake problem...

97 k1500 5.7 350
its been a while now since the problem occured, but when applying brakes, the pedal goes all the way to the floor. pretty quickly, and it is not stiff at all. to start, i found a very minor leak on the front passenger caliper. so i just replaced both. ( i did not investigate the rear too much yet ) i have flushed all the old fluid out with 2 new quarts during this process. let them gravity bleed for about an hour. then bled them individually. the pedal does not feel any better, and i still barely have brakes.
in the brake fluid resivor, there seems to be alot of action ( fluid shooting vertically when brakes pedal is applied ) in the bigger resivor ( closest to cab ) and not much at all in the smaller resivor ( furthest from the cab ).
can anybody help me solve this brake problem?
Old November 26th, 2012, 9:08 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out where the fluid from the front reservoir is going
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:15 PM
CF Active Member

will do
Old November 27th, 2012, 6:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need an assistant with bleeding. With air in the system, you would get a soft pedal. With the ABS replaced you would need a lot of bleeding. Since the brake, pedal still drops to the floor when held firmly down I suspect a leak with the work completed so far. You must inspect every inch of the brake line; any wetness staining is most likely a leak. Since you changed the calipers, remove the rear drums and check for leaks. Make sure that both rear-wheel cylinders are also clean and dry. Install a new booster.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

My 98 is doing the same thing the peddal has always seemed spongy and mine shoots fluid out of back resivor also. Tried power bleed and helper pump and hold. when bleeding w/help the fluid was comming out foamy for a while. any ideas