Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Build up and headers question (new member)

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2007, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build up and headers question (new member)

Hey whats goin on everyone? I just joined this forum today because i'm going to be building up my truck in the next six months, It is a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.7 4x4 half ton...what i plan on doing is doing everything at once so i can make sure everything matches up and then just take it to someone who can tune it in...... So here is my basic plan so far... Air intake, fuel intake, programmer, exhaust, tranny rebuild, vented hood to match up with the intake, spark plugs, spark plug wires... Now that is about all i know... who can give me any advice for parts that my be complementary to this upgrade... Also i've contacted two exhaust shops about headers and they said that i shouldn't do it because they will warp and i will always have to tighten them down... Has anyone ever heard of that? I want a full exhaust system so please give me some good details..I also live in tucson, arizona so can the headers heat up too much... should i maybe look into an oil cooler, tranny cooler?

I know this is alot of questions but all your responses are greatly appreciated. I look forward to future posts about this build up and i will be posting a picture of the truck soon. Thanks everyone.
Old January 6th, 2008, 1:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build up and headers question (new member)

dude thats sweet. ive done all of that except the fuel intake, hood and programmer and tranny. ok so ive done half waht you have. but i dont think the headers will warp. seeing as they are built to take teh exhaust temperature which hits around a gand ferenhiet. if its diesel it gets hotter. but your isnt. i have never ever heard of headers warping. ive heard of headers getting hot as hell then water hitting it and some sexy cracks hit... then again the headers were old and it was asking for it. but why would you need to have a guy tune it for you? or are you just talking about the programmer? well for the intake, if your going for a cowel induction hood(which is good) and your engine is obviousely efi, i know some buddies have taken the air box and junk off, got a rubber neck and put the mass air sensor on top of the throttle body and then another rubber neck and put a round filter on top. just a thought... i want to do it too.