Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

A/C Options???

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 1:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Options???

Just saw that "Larry the Cable Guy" movie again. My wife joked about putting an A/C unit through the sliding glass window of my 1990 silverado.

Just got me thinking...my wife wants to move to Utah, which means I will have to get a truck with A/C.

OR.....keep my truck and put a "Get R Done" Wall mounted A/C unit in my truck.

From an engineering standpoint...can it be done? What would be your power source? Could you simply plug an adapter to your cigerette lighter, then plug the A/C unit into it?:

Last edited by Rob G; July 19th, 2011 at 2:01 PM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could find out those type of questions on an RV mobile home site. They have those big air conditioners on top of their rigs. My bet is it is more expensive than having a stock air system installed in your truck. I'd be checking wrecking yards and mechanics that can do that stuff. I'm guessing that it would be easier and cheaper to buy another truck with air for two reasons. YOur truck will be a big negative to sell in an area where air conditioning is the rule and the change over to air will be so expensive that swapping rigs will be a better deal.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

you could find an inexpensive window unit for about $90 bucks but you would need a power inverter that ran from the battery for the amount of current draw needed, however the inverter needed would probalby need to be in the 1200 to 2000 watt range and for that money you could fix your vehicles AC system...
Old July 20th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really. Carrier makes a mobile AC unit for school buses, ambulances and custom built coaches. You should look at their website. I have seen a few with the unit mounted in the rear window. You will need to run it on a separate power line straight to the battery possibly using additional batteries(parallel wiring) to keep it from draining the main battery and a high power alternator(like they use in ambulances).
Old July 20th, 2011, 3:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to go redneck I know a couple of kids who had to take a big truck on a trip when it was hot and they mounted a window unit in the back window then sat a generator in the truck bed to power it. Worked good.