Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2008, 1:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

OK, I'm in a little bind. I have a 2004 Silverado, 5.3 V8, Z71 truck, my check engine light turned on, I had the code checked and I need to replace my knock sensors. I have to take the intake manifold off to get to the knock sensor. About 4 hours of labor, The problem is, I'm moving and staying at an apartment and don’t have all my tools and stuff to do it myself, PLUS i have to work during the day, 10 hours.I have to get my inspection done today or tomorrow the latest. I'm in Dallas,TX so you can't have the check engine light on during the inspection.

I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes and the light stays off for about two hours, then it comes on. So my question is,if I go in with the check engine light off, will it show up during the inspection? I just need time to replace knock sensor but need my inspection done today, any one have experience on this?
Old July 1st, 2008, 3:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: check engine light

I think you will be ok as long as the light stays off. The inspection station takes all your results from your trucks computer so if no light is on then it should not be sending a problem code.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM
CF Junior Member

ok, i went in and they told me i need 2 oxygen (O2) sensors replaced. I replaced two, but i just want to make sure i replaced the right one, I got the following codes:

P0161: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0141: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank1 Sensor 2)

Is it it referrering to the POST sendors? The ones AFTER the catalyst? The Haynes book refers to it as the POST sensor. I just need to make sure, I'm going back in the morning and need to make sure I replaced the right ones.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 6:39 AM
CF Active Member

Yes, your correct. Sensor 2's are post catalytic or "downstream".

I guess it's too late to help you, but I'm pretty sure you can unplug the ecm fuse for a few minutes then plug it back up before you go in and it'll clear all your codes out.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 7:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks jmack, I will unplug the ecm fuse for a few minutesbefore I take it in again.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 2:11 PM
CF Junior Member

One other thing someone told to me check was theo2b fuse,this controls the heaters for those 2 sensors. Sure enough it was blown, I replaced it and light turn off. So, if you have an oxygen sensor out, more likely the fuse will be too.