Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

chevy 1500 engine surge, and no power

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chevy 1500 engine surge, and no power

i have a 1995 chevy k1500, i have a problem with hesitation with acceleration, engine surge in mid range speed, low idle (500 rpms) at idle and will not accelerate unless floored which i do not like doing. I'm going to start looking at vacuum lines and electrical lines tomorrow... if anyone has a idea what i might be able to look at more closely it would help. thank you
Old December 24th, 2010, 6:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm having the same problem. I think your right on track. I plan on paying special attention to the ignition parts, My next paycheck I'm going to replace the spark wires and clean up and re-gap the plugs. maby even inspect the distributer. I'll let you know if it solves the problem, unless u solve it yourself befor I get time to. Just an FYI, pay attention to your fuel level. your fuel could be sloshing to one side of the tank and your pump could be sucking air. Thus, momentaraly starving your engine of fuel. Although you probly wont see this happen in the guage, its best to have atleast 1/4 tank at all times. I'm not shure if our tanks are designed different or not, but just something to keep in mind. Hope this helps

After thought, it could be your EGR valve. see this thred: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/93-silverado-2500-5-7ltr-feels-like-its-missing-when-i-hit-gas-38547/

Last edited by Like_A_Rock; December 24th, 2010 at 6:39 AM.
Old December 24th, 2010, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

well this morning i'm working on it and it was the EGR valve and that stopped the bucking and surging. but when i go to give it full throttle it has no power at all.
Old December 24th, 2010, 7:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to ask but how many miles dose your engine have? It could just be getting "tired". Could it be that ur fuel pump or filter are getting old and cant keep up with the fuel consumption? Maby have your fuel pressure tested. I did some work on my truck tonight. I removed all the spark plugs to inspect for things like oil residue, and found that the previous owner had not gapped them to .045. I also found that my #3 spark wire had been burnt pretty good by my header. After some time with a wire brush, gapper and electrical tape, I fixed these problems. Truck idols fantastic now. no more surging when at a hot idol. From a few short, low RPM throttle bursts, I can tell you that throttle response has improved dramaiclly as well. I'm gona take it for a drive tomorrow.