Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Chevy 1500 Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2010, 4:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of your info leads me to friction causes the excessive heat, the excessive heat and contaminates discolored the tranmission fluid. So, I'm saying the clutchs and bands that are internal to the transmission has failed. The type transmission in your truck is generally considered a good one. They generally fail to high mileage (>250,000 miles), exordinary towing, or abuse. The hood scoops where not placed there to save gas. (More than what I should say. "changing transmission fluids after a problem has surfaced is something we did with transmissions in the 60' and 70's, some 80's. The servo pressures, clutch materials, fluids, and pumps don't clog up strainers in the newer stuff as the older cars") The mechanics that I'm around will not change the transmission fluid on a vehicle thats is already slipping. And early in your explaination, I could determine it's slipping. Computer Diagnosis OBDI or OBDII does not tell you the clutches are slipping. WHAT TO DO WITH THE TRUCK? I don't recall your mileage, but if it's not high I would sell the truck as is. Somebody may want the hood scoops. I don't know where you are, but in Virginia you pay $3400 to get the thing fixed. As a rule owners around here with a truck that old will pay $2000 to $3400 to fix it....the point of note is that they are fixing a vehicle they have a history with - you don't. Best Wishes.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

thank you for your response, ive decided to sell the truck anyways. gonna cost me to fix it so id rather use it as downpayment for a new truck. might as well bend down and take it, with the financing crap : ( But at least my *** will have a nice seat to rest on. Kidding : )
Old October 18th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ilovechevy
thank you for your response, ive decided to sell the truck anyways. gonna cost me to fix it so id rather use it as downpayment for a new truck. might as well bend down and take it, with the financing crap : ( But at least my *** will have a nice seat to rest on. Kidding : )
Well, take your time and don't forget about newer used trucks. I got a great deal on an 08 quad cab. After everything was said and done, I bought the truck for less money than the Kelly Blue Book trade in value!!

Best Luck

Eric
Old October 18th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy
Hi all, i recently bought a 2000 chevy 1500 truck this morning.
Everything looked good (just a little beat-up). It was parked on soil so i couldnt see any leaks but underneath truck looked pretty dirty.

I drove it around and it was all good until i started driving on the highway.
The rpms went from like 2~3 to Max. The transmission fluid oil was overheating based on what the computer console said on the screen.
I couldnt drive further as it was to hot so i ended up driving at like 50km/h all the way home on the highway. Even that it has trouble driving.

I noticed now underneath there are some leaks on the floor, the transmission oil is kinda blackish red. Someone came by and had a curious look and did mention the drivetrain may be screwed.

What do you guys think? Do you think i should repair this? And worth it? Thank you, please advise.
Should you repair it? What other course of action do you have? You just bought the truck and it was cheap. Now you know why it was cheap. If you dont fix it the truck is worthless, because you cant go faster than 20mph. Shop around at a junk yard maybe you can find an non brutalized one somewhere.
Old October 18th, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1988scotdale
All of your info leads me to friction causes the excessive heat, the excessive heat and contaminates discolored the tranmission fluid. So, I'm saying the clutchs and bands that are internal to the transmission has failed. The type transmission in your truck is generally considered a good one. They generally fail to high mileage (>250,000 miles), exordinary towing, or abuse. The hood scoops where not placed there to save gas. (More than what I should say. "changing transmission fluids after a problem has surfaced is something we did with transmissions in the 60' and 70's, some 80's. The servo pressures, clutch materials, fluids, and pumps don't clog up strainers in the newer stuff as the older cars") The mechanics that I'm around will not change the transmission fluid on a vehicle thats is already slipping. And early in your explaination, I could determine it's slipping. Computer Diagnosis OBDI or OBDII does not tell you the clutches are slipping. WHAT TO DO WITH THE TRUCK? I don't recall your mileage, but if it's not high I would sell the truck as is. Somebody may want the hood scoops. I don't know where you are, but in Virginia you pay $3400 to get the thing fixed. As a rule owners around here with a truck that old will pay $2000 to $3400 to fix it....the point of note is that they are fixing a vehicle they have a history with - you don't. Best Wishes.
I d say get the thing fixed. I dont know who would pay $3400 for a tranny rebuild in VIrginia. You can get it done for $1400 in NY and cheaper if you find one from a junk yard and just pay for the labor. To me, a $1500 2000 Silverado was a truck that needed a little work. And the transmission is the little work. If you can see the need to pay $3000 down and $400/month(at least) for the next 5 years then you must be doing that NEW math I ve heard so much about.
The transmission failed on this car because the previous owner NEVER brought it in for service. The fluid was the same fluid they installed in the thing when they assembled the car. So the clutches burnt up from neglect. Any transmission will fail from neglect.
Old May 20th, 2011, 4:51 PM
CF Junior Member

The truck is probably worth more than $1,500 for the parts. Actually, $1,500 isn't that bad, it could have been worse. Much, much worse.