Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Clutch issues on a 1987 Chevy half-ton.

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues on a 1987 Chevy half-ton.

Hi, I just got done swapping out all the old fuel injections stuff in my pickup and went to a Carb instead. I ended up putting a 327 in and its hooked up to a Standard tranny. I got to where i needed to bleed the slave cylinder and noticed it was leaking. So i ended up putting in a new slave cylinder and i decided to replace the master cylinder as well. I put the fluid in and started to work it through the system and the clutch pedal was still soft. No mater what i do i cant get pressure in the system. I dont know what else to do, can someone please help me?
Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced mine about a month ago and it did the same thing! Keep bleeding it. Drive it bleed it bleed it as many times as you have to. I had to do mine about 15 times. Bleed it then drive it. Also is someone keeping pressure on the clutch till you tighten it up?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Ok that is good to know thank you. And Yes. We had someone keeping pressure on it while we work on it.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Suzuki-guy is right. Just bleed the h*ll out of it. I had to drain out all of the fluid out of mine and it took forever to bleed everything out and get it to how it should be. I did both force and gravity bleeding on it.

How did the rest of the motor swap go? I'm working on mine to convert it to carb. Any tips you can give would be great! thanks
Old July 23rd, 2009, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In my experience, a hydraulic shifter beats a cable shifter hands down. They're a little difficult to bleed, but they take ten times the abuse of a standard shifter.
Old July 25th, 2009, 2:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by broknindarkagain
Suzuki-guy is right. Just bleed the h*ll out of it. I had to drain out all of the fluid out of mine and it took forever to bleed everything out and get it to how it should be. I did both force and gravity bleeding on it.

How did the rest of the motor swap go? I'm working on mine to convert it to carb. Any tips you can give would be great! thanks
Ok thanks. I finally got it working yesterday. The Engine swap went fairly well you just have to have some paitence. My truck sat for about 8 years so there was a lot of stuff that had to be replaced but it was all very easy to do.
Old July 25th, 2009, 3:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!!