Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Death in Fresh Air intake???

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death in Fresh Air intake???

Hey I have a question killing me. I have a 04 4x4 5.3liter silverado reg cab long bed. Is the fresh air intake for the a/c system at the base of the windshield??? Or where is it located. I don't wanna remove that if its elseware but I cannot locate any other location, and its not in my haynes manual... I live in the country. I started having little bits of grass and foam and such coming out of my vents, and I think a mouse tried to make a nest in there... Now it stinks like the damn thing died in my intake.Second day of foam flying into my face I figured thats what was happening, so Idrove the whole drive to work with the heat on high... I hoped he exited... I think he died... PLEASE I jus wanna open it up if its at the base of the windshield and shop vac or whatever I can to remove whatever else is in there... If its there, I can't even see how he got in...
Old May 24th, 2008, 1:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Death in Fresh Air intake???

Welcome to the forum Bigfry! Ive heard of that happening before. Have you tried calling the dealership and asking the service dept where the a/c intake is on your model?
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks man. Naw I haven't called the dealership, I get kinda frustrated when I do because I normally know more than the guy on the other end of the phone. Or they want me to bring my truck in so they can look at it... My warranty is up, long ago, and I'm not paying them to stare at it for a hour and say, yep, I think your right, lol. Probably should though, call that is, they eventually hand the phone to a non-moron, and my question can be answered... I just gotta be ready to deal with a thirty minute phone call, and alot of repeating myself and getting frustrated, mad, pissed, missunderstood, and finally satisfied. lol.
Old May 27th, 2008, 3:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe it is there, it is only a few screws to remove the cover so it cant hurt to try it. Also under your dash is the cabin air filter so you can take a look in there as well. Its on the passenger side of the center console under your dash.
Old May 29th, 2008, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Yea, I looked all over under the dash, I couldn't find a access panel, or anything it shows in the manual... Where you pull one screw and drop down the panel with the filter... Its just not there. I have a step above the work truck model and I don't think it has the cabin filter... Ima crane operator, and work outside alot. I wanted the rubber floor. It had a cd player, ac, cruise, and the 5.3 with 4wd and a limited slip. All I needed. But yea, its a pain. Been working my *** off outside working on mah home.
Old May 31st, 2008, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

I belive what you're looking for is located behind the glove box. To get to it all you need to do is empty-out your glove compartment, then gently push the plastic sides of the glove box in and that will allow the box to swing-down upside-down giving you a lot of access to the fresh air vent for the HVAC.

Good Luck!

--Kevin