Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

do they really work

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do they really work

i was thinking about putting an optima battery in my 99 5.3 silverado but didnt really want to pay that much if it didnt make a difference. also wanting any input on msd ignition or one like it to get more power out of the engine. any input on these or maybe some other options i could go without spending alot of money. thanks
Old February 5th, 2009, 8:08 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

In the world of automotive, money = more power
The optima battery will give you a more reliable power source to your engine and accessories not more engine power.
The MSD ignition will do the same provide reliable power to the ignition system but not more power out of the engine.

To get more power out of the engine you have to affect the ability of the engine to breathe effectively, better air flow in and out of the engine and its a combination of things.

K&N filter with cold air intake AND a cat back exhaust will provide some top end improvements.
Porting and polishing intake and exhaust systems will provide even greater gains.

Adding some of the items you mentioned also add to the "look" of the vehicle under the hood and have there own value.

Asking questions is the best way to find improvements that are cost effective and easy to do and you started that with this post!
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont waste your money on the ignition it will not make a lick of difference. Like in2 said go cold air intake and exhaust- dual flowmaster will sound bad as well. I have the same engine and those did make a difference but not enough to justify the cost. The value for me was because I like how they looked and sounded as well but dont expect to be blown away by performance by adding them.