Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Drum brake questions

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2021, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum brake questions

Hope i do ok at explaining this. Ok so had the rear drum brakes done on my 2011 silverado and a wheel cylinder done on the drivers side and have some temp questions for the first few days the passenger rear was about 130 after a couple decent brakes the drivers side was at 110. Not sure if its how you auto adjust or not but I did a few reverses and brakes then forwards after didn't have a temp gun handy when i got home but the drivers side was warm most of the way around but the passenger side was about as warm on top but was really warm to me on the bottom but im kinda sensitive to heat so my hot is really not that hot to others. But after like 5 minutes of sitting drivers front was 104 rear was 81 passenger front was 101 and rear was 95 at hottest point i know none of those are high but i thought that drums were sup post to get pretty warm. before i tried to auto adjust the passenger was barely warm on the top the passenger im guessing was around 115.

Parts were one wheel cylinder both drums and shoes and hardware kits and i believe one self adjuster
Old August 16th, 2021, 11:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by crostiger
Hope i do ok at explaining this. Ok so had the rear drum brakes done on my 2011 silverado and a wheel cylinder done on the drivers side and have some temp questions for the first few days the passenger rear was about 130 after a couple decent brakes the drivers side was at 110. Not sure if its how you auto adjust or not but I did a few reverses and brakes then forwards after didn't have a temp gun handy when i got home but the drivers side was warm most of the way around but the passenger side was about as warm on top but was really warm to me on the bottom but im kinda sensitive to heat so my hot is really not that hot to others. But after like 5 minutes of sitting drivers front was 104 rear was 81 passenger front was 101 and rear was 95 at hottest point i know none of those are high but i thought that drums were sup post to get pretty warm. before i tried to auto adjust the passenger was barely warm on the top the passenger im guessing was around 115.

Parts were one wheel cylinder both drums and shoes and hardware kits and i believe one self adjuster
Sounds to me like it's all operating correctly. I use "Neverseize" on the self-adjuster threads. Keeps stuff out and lubricates the threads too. I use it on everything with threads, like spark plugs as well. Makes everything work well. Same with dielectrical grease. Keeps water out of the electricals. Lithium grease on the door/tailgate hinges is also a good idea. It all adds up to just plain cheap insurance.
Old August 17th, 2021, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

auto adjuster is designed to compensate for pad wear. Its not meant to correct for clearances when new shoes/drums are installed. Its dependent on correct set up by the installer. If to much clearance; you have a deep brake pedal and the ebrake travel will be to the floor and not hold the truck. If to close you will smell burnt brake pad.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (August 17th, 2021)
Old August 17th, 2021, 2:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
auto adjuster is designed to compensate for pad wear. Its not meant to correct for clearances when new shoes/drums are installed. Its dependent on correct set up by the installer. If to much clearance; you have a deep brake pedal and the ebrake travel will be to the floor and not hold the truck. If to close you will smell burnt brake pad.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I assumed the OP was speaking of rear drum brakes with brake shoes, not pads. Where did I go wrong here, tech2 ?
tech2 (August 17th, 2021)
Old August 17th, 2021, 2:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
I'm guessing install is ok pedal feels fine better then before I took it in kinda scared to try the ebrake live were we get alot of salt in the winter haven't smelled anything hot yet but will get some new temps after I get home before it has time to cool
Old August 17th, 2021, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Ok out side temp was 68F got some readings just after parking drivers side front is 108 rear is 89-105 on face of drum passenger side front is 115 rear on face is 94-119 passenger rear was warmer when feeling were the shoes engage but could keep my hand on them. Took same route home but might have been a little lighter on brakes then in original post. Just wondering the temps seem ok and if in the rear having that much of a temperature swing around the face is ok they might still be wearing in only have about 400 miles on the new shoes and drums.
Old August 17th, 2021, 9:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I assumed the OP was speaking of rear drum brakes with brake shoes, not pads. Where did I go wrong here, tech2 ?
my mistake. change pad to shoe
oilcanhenry (August 18th, 2021)